Arizona freshmen shine in annual Red-Blue Game
Top recruit Aaron Gordon put on an athletic display in the dunk contest, winning over Nick Johnson with a 360 between-the-legs dunk, then put on an all-around performance during the game with 12 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"The word unique is at the forefront when you describe Aaron as a player," head coach Sean Miller said. "You saw how he can pass. With someone of his size and athleticism, it might be one of the best things he does."
Fellow freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tied for a team-high with 18 points during the actual scrimmage, which consisted of two 15-minute halves. Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski also scored 18, and sophomore forward Brandon Ashley scored 14. Each of Arizona's expected contributors in the front-court scored in double figures.
"I think we could have as many as five players in double figures," Miller said. "That balance is going to make us more difficult to beat. You don't have that one player who takes all the shots."
Check out a pair of highlight videos released by Arizona Athletics below:
- Mark May, ESPN College Football Analyst - Tuesday September 2Should UCLA be concerned about their performance against Virginia?
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?