Arizona freshmen shine in annual Red-Blue Game
Top recruit Aaron Gordon put on an athletic display in the dunk contest, winning over Nick Johnson with a 360 between-the-legs dunk, then put on an all-around performance during the game with 12 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"The word unique is at the forefront when you describe Aaron as a player," head coach Sean Miller said. "You saw how he can pass. With someone of his size and athleticism, it might be one of the best things he does."
Fellow freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tied for a team-high with 18 points during the actual scrimmage, which consisted of two 15-minute halves. Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski also scored 18, and sophomore forward Brandon Ashley scored 14. Each of Arizona's expected contributors in the front-court scored in double figures.
"I think we could have as many as five players in double figures," Miller said. "That balance is going to make us more difficult to beat. You don't have that one player who takes all the shots."
Check out a pair of highlight videos released by Arizona Athletics below:
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 11/29 - Friday November 29Adam and Jarrett talk UA football and the Territorial Cup.
- Greg Byrne, Arizona athletic director - Wednesday November 27Getting ready for the Territorial Cup with Greg Byrne
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Tuesday November 26Coach Rodriguez discusses the Oregon victory and the Territorial Cup with the guys.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Color Analyst - Monday November 25The Sun Devils and Wildcats meet again this weekend for the Territorial Cup.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN college football analyst - Friday November 22Ed Cunningham gives us his opinion on the big games surrounding ASU and Arizona.