Arizona freshmen shine in annual Red-Blue Game
Top recruit Aaron Gordon put on an athletic display in the dunk contest, winning over Nick Johnson with a 360 between-the-legs dunk, then put on an all-around performance during the game with 12 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
"The word unique is at the forefront when you describe Aaron as a player," head coach Sean Miller said. "You saw how he can pass. With someone of his size and athleticism, it might be one of the best things he does."
Fellow freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tied for a team-high with 18 points during the actual scrimmage, which consisted of two 15-minute halves. Sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski also scored 18, and sophomore forward Brandon Ashley scored 14. Each of Arizona's expected contributors in the front-court scored in double figures.
"I think we could have as many as five players in double figures," Miller said. "That balance is going to make us more difficult to beat. You don't have that one player who takes all the shots."
Check out a pair of highlight videos released by Arizona Athletics below:
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.