Updated Feb 1, 2014 - 5:51 pm
Undefeated Arizona Wildcats survive scare, top Stanford: By the numbers
UA guard Nick Johnson hit a straightaway 3-pointer to break a 55-55 tie with 49 seconds to go, and the Wildcats held on for a 60-57 win, extending their season-opening undefeated streak to a school-record 21 games.
Here's a look at Wednesday's game by the numbers:
Four of the Cardinal starters reached double-figures in scoring at Maples Pavilion, while only three Wilcats reached the same mark.
Arizona was behind 31-30 at halftime, but with the win, the Wildcats moved to 6-0 this season when trailing after the first 20 minutes.
The Wildcats came in averaging 13.1 offensive rebounds per game, but they were only able to grab six on Wednesday. Stanford, meanwhile, had eight offensive boards.
Johnson scored 16 points and hit 3-of-4 from downtown -- one shy of his season-high in 3-point makes. Johnson has scored in double figures in seven straight games and 10 of the last 11.
Six-foot-1 point guard T.J. McConnell grabbed a season-high eight rebounds against Stanford. He also had 11 points and four assists and was the only Wildcat to shoot better than 50 percent (5-for-8).
Arizona's defense tightened up down the stretch and didn't let the Cardinal score on 16 of its last 19 possessions. Because of that, Stanford only scored four points in the last 9:58 seconds of the game.
The Wildcats struggled mightily from the field, shooting 36 percent in the game. Stanford took six more field goals, but only shot slightly better -- 37.5 percent. Arizona, however, made twice as many 3-pointers (6-3) in the game.
Further showing how close Arizona was to defeat, the team was outrebounded for the first time all season. Stanford won the boards war 38-36.
By finishing with 60 points, the Wildcats fell quite short of their season average of 75 coming into the game.
UA continued to struggle from the free throw line, only converting 18 out of 29 tries (62.1 percent). The Cardinal didn't get to the line nearly as often (18 times), and its shooting wasn't much better (66.7 percent).
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Wildcats forward Aaron Gordon heading for NBA Draft
- Arizona Wildcats center Kaleb Tarczewski to stay for junior year
- Arizona Wildcats forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson to return for Sophomore season
- Arizona Wildcats guard Nick Johnson to enter NBA Draft
- Arizona's Nick Johnson 'not sure' about future
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.
- Paul Bessire, predictionmachine.com - Wednesday March 26Paul Bessire reacts to the first week of the NCAA Tournament.