By the Numbers: Arizona Wildcats suffer first loss of season
That caught up with them Saturday.
The Wildcats stumbled out of the gates and were crippled by the loss of sophomore forward Brandon Ashley, who left with a foot injury after just more than two minutes of action, eventually falling 60-58 at Cal behind a last-second shot by Justin Cobbs.
Here's a closer look at Arizona's first loss of the season by the numbers:
Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell finished the game without an assist, the first time this season he recorded fewer than three.
Ashley played just two minutes in the game, suffering a foot injury after landing awkwardly following a missed shot in the lane. UA head coach Sean Miller said on his postgame radio show that there's a "really good chance," that Ashley suffered a broken foot and is out for the season.
Four of the nation's top 10 teams lost Saturday -- Arizona, Oklahoma State, Michigan State and Kansas -- marking the first time that happened since the day before last year's Super Bowl.
Arizona's 21-straight wins to start the season marked the longest winning streak and best start to a season in UA history.
According to the Pac-12 Network, Saturday's game featured 24 NBA scouts in attendance - nearly double the amount typically found at a game.
The Wildcats shot a measly 32.3 percent from the field on 20-of-62 shooting. Junior guard Nick Johnson was just 1-of-14 from the floor, while freshman Aaron Gordon was 4-of-14. The Wildcats hit just two of their 11 3-point attempts, though they were a perfect 16-of-16 from the free throw line.
- Rich Rodriguez - UA football coach - Tuesday September 2Doug and Wolf catch up with the head coach of the Arizona Wildcats, Rich Rodriguez.
- Greg Byrne - Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 29Arizona Athletic Director Greg Byrne previews the 2014 Arizona football season
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Aug. 28 - Thursday August 28Adam and Jarrett preview Arizona's 2014 football season and season opener vs. UNLV.
- Rich Rodriguez, Head Coach UA Football - Monday August 25Who will be his starting quarterback and how will he replace Ka'Deem Carey?
- Greg Byrne, University of Arizona Athletic Director - Friday August 8Greg Byrne talks about the new ruling that gives autonomy to the Power 5 conferences.