By the Numbers: No. 2 Arizona Wildcats run past Oregon State for much-need blowout win
But No. 2 Arizona put together its best game in nearly a month on Sunday, running away from Oregon State en route to a 76-54 win in McKale Center -- showing it hasn't lost the ability to dominate lesser teams.
Freshman forward Aaron Gordon appeared to regain the form that had him regarded as one of the nation's top incoming recruits, fellow freshman Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tallied a career-high in scoring for the second straight game and the Wildcats (23-1, 10-1 Pac-12) held the conference's leading scorer to 10 points on 25 percent shooting.
Here's a closer look at the win, by the numbers:
Four Wildcat starters scored in double digits, with Kaleb Tarczewski scoring eight points on 4-of-6 shooting. Junior guard Nick Johnson scored 10, T.J. McConnell had 11, Hollis-Jefferson had 16 and Gordon scored a game-high 17.
Arizona's Jordin Mayes tallied a season-high nine points, going 1-for-2 from 2-point range and 6-of-6 from the free throw line. Mayes was a key cog of the UA team that made an Elite Eight run in 2011, but has seeing his playing time dwindle to almost zero as a senior.
The Pac-12 Conference's leading scorer, Oregon State's Roberto Nelson, was held to just 10 points on 3-of-12 shooting. Nelson, who averages 22 points per game this season, was largely guarded by the UA's Nick Johnson.
Arizona held a 15-rebound edge over Oregon State, including a whopping 15-4 edge on the offensive glass.
Hollis-Jefferson set a career-high in points for the second consecutive game, scoring 16 against the Beavers just three days after setting a career high with 14 against Oregon.
Gordon led the way for Arizona with 17 points on 8-of-12 shooting after struggling mightily on the offensive end over the last few weeks of play.
The UA has won 19 straight home games dating back to Feb. 10, 2013 loss to Cal -- good for the longest active streak in the Pac-12 Conference.
- Oregon drops No. 3 Arizona Wildcats: By the numbers
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.