By the Numbers: Arizona Wildcats top Utah Utes in overtime
No. 1 Syracuse lost at home to a bad Boston College team. No. 2 Florida needed an intentional foul in a tie game to sneak past Auburn. And the No. 4 Arizona Wildcats found themselves with a dwindling lead on the road against the Utah Utes and without the services of freshman phenom Aaron Gordon, who fouled out with almost nine minutes remaining.
But then Nick Johnson found the shooting touch that had him in Player of the Year contention earlier this season, Arizona's suffocating defense clamped down and the Wildcats (23-2, 10-2 Pac-12) held on for a 67-63 overtime win.
Here's a closer look at the narrow win, by the numbers:
Wednesday's loss to Arizona marked just Utah's second home loss of the season. The Utes, who have won 16 of 18 at home, were handed their only other loss by Oregon in overtime.
Gordon managed just three points on 1-of-3 shooting as he stumbled through a foul-plagued game. Three of his fouls came on the offensive end, including his fifth.
UA coach Sean Miller vowed to get his bench more playing time after Friday's double-overtime loss to Arizona State, and he delivered against the Utes. The Wildcats went nine players deep and received 15 bench points after their reserves failed to score against the Sun Devils.
Arizona sophomore guard Gabe York gave the Wildcats an offensive spark they needed, scoring 15 points on 6-of-10 shooting, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range. He also scored seven-straight Arizona points at one point late in the first half.
The Wildcats played back-to-back overtime games for the first time in 18 years, with Friday's double-overtime loss to Arizona State and Wednesday's win over Utah.
The Wildcats showed bursts of offensive prowess in the first half, but were limited to just 21 second-half points as they saw a double-digit lead disappear.
- Oregon drops No. 3 Arizona Wildcats: By the numbers
- Arizona's Nick Johnson a finalist for Wooden Award
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.