Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
Nonetheless, Sean Miller's third-ranked squad took care of business anyways, coming alive late on its way to a 74-69 win over the Oregon State Beavers.
Here's a look back at the five-point road win by the numbers:
Although Arizona trailed on a couple of occasions in the second half, the deficit was never bigger than a one-possession game. In fact, the Wildcats didn't fall behind by more than two all night long.
Craig Robinson's team continues to fall just short with the game on the line. Wednesday's loss was the sixth in Pac-12 play decided by six points or less.
The five-point triumph extends Arizona's winning streak to seven straight over Oregon State. The Beavers' last win (76-75) over the Wildcats came on Jan. 2, 2011.
Junior guard T.J. McConnell only shot 2-of-9 from the field, but he finished with a game-high eight assists. McConnell has only had eight assists in a game six times this season and only twice since the start of Pac-12 play.
Beavers' leading scorer, Roberto Nelson, did finish with a team-high 25 points but only 22 total shots. Of those 22, Nelson only connected on seven of them. The senior also turned the ball over twice and missed two free throws in the final 3:12 of the contest.
The Beavers largely made a game of this one because of their work on the glass. Oregon State hauled in 16 offensive rebounds on its way to 24 second-chance points.
Nick Johnson scored a season-high 25 points in the victory, knocking down eight of his 18 attempts. With the performance, Johnson eclipsed the 20-point mark for the 10th time in 2013-14. He also pitched in with four assists and six rebounds.
With a win over Oregon, Arizona would tie the 1988-89 and 1993-94 squads for the fifth-most single season wins in program history with 29. The record still sits at 35 set by the 1987-88 Wildcats.
Along those same lines, Wednesday's victory gave the program its second biggest win total over a four-year period (2011-14) with 108.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.