Updated Mar 27, 2014 - 8:11 am
Predictionmachine.com: Arizona likely to beat San Diego State
Standing in their way of a trip to the Elite Eight are the San Diego State Aztecs.
"These are two very similar built teams with good on-ball defense, elite rebounding and terrible shooting, for the most part," Paul Bessire, creator of Predictionmachine.com, told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Ultimately, Arizona is better at every single position though. While they are similarly crafted, Arizona is significantly better.
"We see the Wildcats win in their own right about 75 percent of the time. 62-58 is our predicted score."
After 50,000 simulations of the upcoming Thursday night game, Bessire says his system predicts the Wildcats should handle the Aztecs, but also reveals that they are only the seventh most likely team to win the NCAA Championship.
Bessire's simulations put Arizona at a 31.3 percent chance of making the Final Four out of the West Regional, which are better odds than San Diego State, Baylor and Wisconsin.
"It's a difficult thing for Arizona to get out of the region itself," Bessire said. "Plus, by the time they get to the Final Four, for all the teams that are higher than them in the power rankings, a lot of them are a little bit better free throw shooting teams, and I think it's going to be critical at that point to shoot from outside as well."
- Former UA Wildcat Nick Johnson ‘happy' to land with Houston Rockets
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon signs endorsement deal with Nike
- Arizona's Sean Miller among the best recruiters in the country
- Former Wildcat Aaron Gordon records monster block in NBA Summer League debut
- Former Wildcat Johnson impresses in Summer League debut, finishes vicious dunk
- Bucky Brooks, NFL Network draft analyst - Friday May 2Bucky Brooks discusses what the Cardinals should do with the 20th overall pick.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Tuesday April 15Adam and Jarrett talk about UA's early departures.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Thursday April 3Adam and Jarrett recap a tough loss as well as the season itself.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Friday March 28Adam and Jarrett talk about Arizona's run to the Elite 8.
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 28Arizonans can all rally around this University of Arizona basketball team.