Updated Aug 30, 2011 - 3:00 pm
Sun Devils hope to have learned from close losses
If the Devils are to make good on their dreams of a Pac-12 championship, something is going to have to change.
ASU Head Coach Dennis Erickson, on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said the team can certainly learn from last year's shortcomings.
"We talked about it a lot," Erickson said. "We talk about it and obviously our players understand it."
Erickson said mistakes can happen, especially in the heat of a game, but the key is understanding what it takes to win.
"I guess by losing some of those close ones you find out what it takes."
The Sun Devils hope that's the case, because while they are more talented this year than in any recent season, the self-inflicted wounds have caused as much damage as any to their seasons.
An older, wiser team should help minimize the errors, something the head coach is counting on.
"We have guys that have been through it and guys that have won and know what it takes to win on both sides of the football," he said.
That growth will be key to ASU's chances, as the schedule sets up well for them to make a run in the Pac-12 South.
The only question remaining is if they're ready to take advantage of the opportunity.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was