Updated Aug 30, 2011 - 3:00 pm
Sun Devils hope to have learned from close losses
If the Devils are to make good on their dreams of a Pac-12 championship, something is going to have to change.
ASU Head Coach Dennis Erickson, on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said the team can certainly learn from last year's shortcomings.
"We talked about it a lot," Erickson said. "We talk about it and obviously our players understand it."
Erickson said mistakes can happen, especially in the heat of a game, but the key is understanding what it takes to win.
"I guess by losing some of those close ones you find out what it takes."
The Sun Devils hope that's the case, because while they are more talented this year than in any recent season, the self-inflicted wounds have caused as much damage as any to their seasons.
An older, wiser team should help minimize the errors, something the head coach is counting on.
"We have guys that have been through it and guys that have won and know what it takes to win on both sides of the football," he said.
That growth will be key to ASU's chances, as the schedule sets up well for them to make a run in the Pac-12 South.
The only question remaining is if they're ready to take advantage of the opportunity.
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.