Updated Aug 30, 2011 - 3:00 pm
Sun Devils hope to have learned from close losses
If the Devils are to make good on their dreams of a Pac-12 championship, something is going to have to change.
ASU Head Coach Dennis Erickson, on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said the team can certainly learn from last year's shortcomings.
"We talked about it a lot," Erickson said. "We talk about it and obviously our players understand it."
Erickson said mistakes can happen, especially in the heat of a game, but the key is understanding what it takes to win.
"I guess by losing some of those close ones you find out what it takes."
The Sun Devils hope that's the case, because while they are more talented this year than in any recent season, the self-inflicted wounds have caused as much damage as any to their seasons.
An older, wiser team should help minimize the errors, something the head coach is counting on.
"We have guys that have been through it and guys that have won and know what it takes to win on both sides of the football," he said.
That growth will be key to ASU's chances, as the schedule sets up well for them to make a run in the Pac-12 South.
The only question remaining is if they're ready to take advantage of the opportunity.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.