Updated Oct 14, 2011 - 3:38 pm
ASU's Osweiler would be a first round pick right now
A mobile 6-foot-8, Osweiler is now on the radars of NFL scouts.
"Up in Minnesota a pro personnel man told me ‘Brock Osweiler's got my attention, he has got my attention,'" Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said.
Wolfley said the Cardinals scouts are also fond of the junior, and if the Sun Devils win Saturday in Eugene and Osweiler's star keeps rising, the question will turn from if he can play in the NFL to whether he'll he stay in Tempe for his senior season.
Because, as Wolfley says, the QB would go in the first round of the draft if it were held right now.
"Christian Ponder was taken No. 12 overall," Wolfley said. "That's because of the state of the quarterback position in the National Football League."
Wolfley contends that while Osweiler is a good prospect, the idea that he'd be a first round pick says more about teams and their desire to find a franchise QB than it does the player's ability, at least right now.
"I just think it speaks to the state of the quarterback position in the National Football League and how desperate teams are to find that guy they can build a team around," he said.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Herb Sendek, ASU basketball coach - Tuesday March 11ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek discusses the Pac-12 tournament.
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was