Updated Oct 14, 2011 - 3:38 pm
ASU's Osweiler would be a first round pick right now
A mobile 6-foot-8, Osweiler is now on the radars of NFL scouts.
"Up in Minnesota a pro personnel man told me ‘Brock Osweiler's got my attention, he has got my attention,'" Arizona Sports 620's Ron Wolfley said.
Wolfley said the Cardinals scouts are also fond of the junior, and if the Sun Devils win Saturday in Eugene and Osweiler's star keeps rising, the question will turn from if he can play in the NFL to whether he'll he stay in Tempe for his senior season.
Because, as Wolfley says, the QB would go in the first round of the draft if it were held right now.
"Christian Ponder was taken No. 12 overall," Wolfley said. "That's because of the state of the quarterback position in the National Football League."
Wolfley contends that while Osweiler is a good prospect, the idea that he'd be a first round pick says more about teams and their desire to find a franchise QB than it does the player's ability, at least right now.
"I just think it speaks to the state of the quarterback position in the National Football League and how desperate teams are to find that guy they can build a team around," he said.
- Special teams key for ASU against Stanford in Pac-12 Championship Game
- About 10K tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship
- SI's Mandel: ASU would have a 'strong case' to be part of College Football Playoff
- ESPN's Tom Luginbill: ASU's adjustments vs. Stanford run game will be key
- ESPN's Mark May: Stanford QB Hogan key to Pac-12 Championship Game
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday December 4The Pac 12 Championship will be a moment to remember at Sun Devil Stadium
- Tom Luginbill, ESPN College Football Analyst - Wednesday December 4A national perspective on the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Larry Scott, Commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference - Tuesday December 3Scott previews the Pac-12 championship game.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday December 3May Day previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Tuesday December 3Mandel discusses USC's coaching hire and the Pac-12 Championship game.