Updated Nov 15, 2011 - 1:01 pm
Dennis Erickson talks job security, desire to keep coaching
Thought to be in line for a contract extension only a few weeks ago, the only line many want to see him in is the one with an "unemployment" sign hanging above.
Tuesday Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, who wrote that it's time for a change at ASU, asked the coach about his job security on Burns and Gambo.
"I had even said that if Arizona State loses this game I'll pack Dennis Erickson's bags for him," Gambadoro said. "I'd have to think, at this point, that your job is in jeopardy after these back-to-back losses.
"Your thoughts on that."
Erickson, who has compiled a 31-28 record at ASU, didn't shy away from the question.
"I don't know, I mean, Lisa [Love] and I will talk at the end of the season, when it's all over with," the coach said. "You know, visit and talk about where we're at and so forth.
Erickson, who said he knows his critics are out there and vocal these days, said all he can do right now is focus on Saturday's game, as his Sun Devils host the rival Arizona Wildcats in the "Duel in the Desert."
From there the team will host California and then, possibly, play in the Pac-12 Championship game. From there the Devils will play in a bowl game, but even that may not be enough to save Erickson's job.
If it does get to that point, though, the 64-year-old hopes this isn't his last stop as a head coach.
"Old coaches, they don't retire, they just kind of die," Erickson joked. "That's what I want to do for a living, still do."
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Sun Devil Supplement: Notes from ASU's opener vs. Weber State
- Stagnant or statement
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.