Updated Nov 15, 2011 - 1:01 pm
Dennis Erickson talks job security, desire to keep coaching
Thought to be in line for a contract extension only a few weeks ago, the only line many want to see him in is the one with an "unemployment" sign hanging above.
Tuesday Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro, who wrote that it's time for a change at ASU, asked the coach about his job security on Burns and Gambo.
"I had even said that if Arizona State loses this game I'll pack Dennis Erickson's bags for him," Gambadoro said. "I'd have to think, at this point, that your job is in jeopardy after these back-to-back losses.
"Your thoughts on that."
Erickson, who has compiled a 31-28 record at ASU, didn't shy away from the question.
"I don't know, I mean, Lisa [Love] and I will talk at the end of the season, when it's all over with," the coach said. "You know, visit and talk about where we're at and so forth.
Erickson, who said he knows his critics are out there and vocal these days, said all he can do right now is focus on Saturday's game, as his Sun Devils host the rival Arizona Wildcats in the "Duel in the Desert."
From there the team will host California and then, possibly, play in the Pac-12 Championship game. From there the Devils will play in a bowl game, but even that may not be enough to save Erickson's job.
If it does get to that point, though, the 64-year-old hopes this isn't his last stop as a head coach.
"Old coaches, they don't retire, they just kind of die," Erickson joked. "That's what I want to do for a living, still do."
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.