Updated Apr 7, 2011 - 5:38 pm
Don't believe what Ken Whisenhunt has to say
Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt wants you to know that you shouldn't believe anything he or anyone else involved in the NFL says. At least when it comes to the NFL draft.
The head coach made it clear that this time of year the NFL has more people bluffing than the World Series of Poker and sometimes they're even doing it unintentionally.
"It is part of the game. It's part of the maneuvering and posturing, as they would say," Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "Sometimes what you may have done you've done it unintentionally. There may be a point, three or four weeks before the draft, you fall in love with a guy and you say something about him. Then after you go through the process and compare him to somebody else maybe he's knocked down a couple of pegs and you don't like him as much. What you said about him three weeks ago might not necessarily be exactly the way you feel about him now that you have all the information. So that will change itself."
Does that mean everything he said yesterday on Pro Football Talk Live about the Cards offseason plans and plans for the draft were lies? Do we, or anyone that isn't in the ‘war room', know anything they are interested in? Can we even assume that Derek Anderson and Max Hall aren't options at quarterback in 2011? (OK, that one is pretty safe to assume. Even Phil Hellmuth couldn't bluff that well.)
The moral of Whisenhunt's story is, like when buying a used car, be skeptical of what you hear because those trying to make the sale might just be telling you what you want to hear. Or rather what they want you to think.
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinals’ draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.