Updated Apr 7, 2011 - 5:38 pm
Don't believe what Ken Whisenhunt has to say
Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt wants you to know that you shouldn't believe anything he or anyone else involved in the NFL says. At least when it comes to the NFL draft.
The head coach made it clear that this time of year the NFL has more people bluffing than the World Series of Poker and sometimes they're even doing it unintentionally.
"It is part of the game. It's part of the maneuvering and posturing, as they would say," Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "Sometimes what you may have done you've done it unintentionally. There may be a point, three or four weeks before the draft, you fall in love with a guy and you say something about him. Then after you go through the process and compare him to somebody else maybe he's knocked down a couple of pegs and you don't like him as much. What you said about him three weeks ago might not necessarily be exactly the way you feel about him now that you have all the information. So that will change itself."
Does that mean everything he said yesterday on Pro Football Talk Live about the Cards offseason plans and plans for the draft were lies? Do we, or anyone that isn't in the ‘war room', know anything they are interested in? Can we even assume that Derek Anderson and Max Hall aren't options at quarterback in 2011? (OK, that one is pretty safe to assume. Even Phil Hellmuth couldn't bluff that well.)
The moral of Whisenhunt's story is, like when buying a used car, be skeptical of what you hear because those trying to make the sale might just be telling you what you want to hear. Or rather what they want you to think.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.