Updated Apr 15, 2011 - 9:14 am
NFL analyst doesn't think Cards will take a quarterback
Who will be under center for the Arizona Cardinals in 2011? You can probably cross two of the rookie quarterbacks off your list.
According to ESPN NFL Analyst John Clayton, both Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton won't likely be available when the Cards make their selection at No. 5 in just a few weeks.
"Neither guy you can be 100-percent sold on," Clayton told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf. "It's not like Sam Bradford last year. It's not like next year when Andrew Luck comes up. Both teams have signed off on his personality and I'd say 100-percent Cam Newton would go No. 3 to Buffalo if he slides down there because of Buddy Nix who knows the SEC and is their general manager. We know that Newton is going to go in the top three and we know Gabbert would go to Cincinnati at No. 4 if he would slide down there. He's not going to be available for Arizona."
"With Gabbert you probably get an upgraded version of a more accurate Mark Sanchez," he said. "You probably don't get an elite quarterback."
It makes you wonder if Gabbert would even be worth the risk if he is available with the number five pick or -- if you want to believe a random Internet rumor -- if the Cards were to trade up to No. 2.
The question then becomes, who does Clayton think they will draft. He said it will probably be Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. He admits that the Bills are considering him with the No. 3 pick but that a linebacker won't do what Cam Newton could for the franchise.
Who will be the Arizona Cardinals quarterback in 2011 be? The draft probably won't give us the answer but it will answer the question of " who will put pressure on the opposing QB". That is if Clayton is right.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.