Updated Apr 15, 2011 - 9:14 am
NFL analyst doesn't think Cards will take a quarterback
Who will be under center for the Arizona Cardinals in 2011? You can probably cross two of the rookie quarterbacks off your list.
According to ESPN NFL Analyst John Clayton, both Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton won't likely be available when the Cards make their selection at No. 5 in just a few weeks.
"Neither guy you can be 100-percent sold on," Clayton told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf. "It's not like Sam Bradford last year. It's not like next year when Andrew Luck comes up. Both teams have signed off on his personality and I'd say 100-percent Cam Newton would go No. 3 to Buffalo if he slides down there because of Buddy Nix who knows the SEC and is their general manager. We know that Newton is going to go in the top three and we know Gabbert would go to Cincinnati at No. 4 if he would slide down there. He's not going to be available for Arizona."
"With Gabbert you probably get an upgraded version of a more accurate Mark Sanchez," he said. "You probably don't get an elite quarterback."
It makes you wonder if Gabbert would even be worth the risk if he is available with the number five pick or -- if you want to believe a random Internet rumor -- if the Cards were to trade up to No. 2.
The question then becomes, who does Clayton think they will draft. He said it will probably be Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. He admits that the Bills are considering him with the No. 3 pick but that a linebacker won't do what Cam Newton could for the franchise.
Who will be the Arizona Cardinals quarterback in 2011 be? The draft probably won't give us the answer but it will answer the question of " who will put pressure on the opposing QB". That is if Clayton is right.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up