Updated Apr 18, 2011 - 10:58 am
Kolb may be limiting his own marketplace
The Philadelphia Eagles opened the 2010 season with Kevin Kolb as their starting quarterback.
He was injured in the first game and never took the starting quarterback job back. Yes, he played later in the year when Michael Vick was injured, but it was never his job again.
Now, the Eagles are moving forward with Vick as the starter and Kolb on the trading block for the right price.
What exactly is that price?
A first-round draft pick? Multiple picks lower in the draft?
Well, it seems it will cost a team one of those combinations plus giving Kolb a hefty paycheck for himself.
According to ESPN 1500 the marketplace for Kolb is being limited because of his demands.
"You can't trade for the guy" without working out a contract extension, said an NFL source who has explored Kolb's situation. "He's not going to play for what he's making right now in the last year of his contract."
Just how much does the quarterback want?
Matt Schaub was a backup quarterback a few seasons ago and received a six-year, $48 million deal. Only $7 million was guaranteed though.
If Kolb is looking to get more than what Schaub did then he would be looking to be with the likes of Matt Cassel, Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers and David Garrard, who all were signed to deals around $60-70 million over five to seven years.
While he was named the starting quarterback of an NFL team coming out of training camp last August, he has yet to show he can be a starting quarterback over the long haul.
Kolb's career numbers won't have a team -- unless extremely desperate -- jumping to give him $70 million anytime soon.
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Michael Floyd: A threat Arizona Cardinals have not had since Anquan Boldin
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?