Updated Apr 18, 2011 - 9:55 am
Newton has tough time at 'Gruden's QB Camp'
A year ago ESPN began running a segment called "Gruden's QB Camp." Former NFL coach and current ESPN NFL analyst Jon Gruden sits down with quarterback prospects coming out of college and preparing for the draft and life in the NFL.
During Gruden's visit with Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, the quarterback had trouble with a few of the questions he was asked and topics they went over.
After the segment ran, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock went so far as to say that may have hurt Clausen as the draft was less than two weeks away.
"There are these nagging concerns about what kind of kid is he and the other night people around the league were talking about this," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said this morning on the Dan Patrick Show. "He threw his wide receiver under the bus. And quarterbacking 101 is you take responsibility. Everything is your fault."
Fast forward one year and here we are again with "Gruden's QB Camp" leading up to the draft.
Is Cam Newton the new Jimmy Clausen in regards to being hurt by a TV segment with Gruden?
The Auburn product was asked to give a playcall from the playbook. Gruden was trying to explain to him that the verbiage in the NFL is like learning a new language.
After Gruden rattled off a play that literally took five seconds to get out of his mouth, Newton was supposed to give an example from his college days.
Newton's response to Gruden was, "umm … ah man, you put me on the spot."
Newton said at Auburn they didn't get in the huddle much and they went with the "simplistic equals fast" method.
News to Newton, in the NFL you won't be able to look over at the sidelines for a number or diagram and have the entire team be on the same page with the playcall.
Will this translate to the NFL? Will it show when teams start selecting in the NFL Draft next week?
Only time will tell the answers to those questions. But for now, what the fans have seen can't be real assuring.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?