Updated Apr 20, 2011 - 8:13 am
WR A.J. Green is both intriguing and terrifying
The mocks are coming fast and furious now. Who will the Arizona Cardinals select at number five? Your guess is as good as anybody's. Literally.
Blaine Gabbert, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn ; all names that have appeared in one mock draft or another over the last few weeks.
But this one is new. New to me anyway.
Georgia receiver A.J. Green.
So says Sports Illustrated's Peter King. In the magazine's draft preview edition, on newsstands Wednesday, King thinks the Cards will look to take the player who might be the surest thing on the board, offensively speaking.
King though, prefers Patrick Peterson at that spot.
"The way Arizona figures it, a veteran QB can be had at some point before the season to get Larry Fitzgerald the ball. What else would help the Cards' best player? The top-rated receiver on most teams' boards, who could further deflect attention from Fitzgerald. I'd prefer the best corner in the draft, to boost the 29th-rated defense, improve the athleticism in the secondary and help the return game."
At first the thought of a Fitzgerald/Green combo at the WR position makes you tremble with anticipation. Then reality sets in.
Who is going to get them the ball?
More importantly, if the Cards select Green are they doing it as insurance in case they lose Larry Fitzgerald to free agency?
In which case I find myself trembling in fear, or perhaps anger, over King's mock draft.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?