Updated Apr 20, 2011 - 8:13 am
WR A.J. Green is both intriguing and terrifying
The mocks are coming fast and furious now. Who will the Arizona Cardinals select at number five? Your guess is as good as anybody's. Literally.
Blaine Gabbert, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn ; all names that have appeared in one mock draft or another over the last few weeks.
But this one is new. New to me anyway.
Georgia receiver A.J. Green.
So says Sports Illustrated's Peter King. In the magazine's draft preview edition, on newsstands Wednesday, King thinks the Cards will look to take the player who might be the surest thing on the board, offensively speaking.
King though, prefers Patrick Peterson at that spot.
"The way Arizona figures it, a veteran QB can be had at some point before the season to get Larry Fitzgerald the ball. What else would help the Cards' best player? The top-rated receiver on most teams' boards, who could further deflect attention from Fitzgerald. I'd prefer the best corner in the draft, to boost the 29th-rated defense, improve the athleticism in the secondary and help the return game."
At first the thought of a Fitzgerald/Green combo at the WR position makes you tremble with anticipation. Then reality sets in.
Who is going to get them the ball?
More importantly, if the Cards select Green are they doing it as insurance in case they lose Larry Fitzgerald to free agency?
In which case I find myself trembling in fear, or perhaps anger, over King's mock draft.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.