Updated Apr 20, 2011 - 8:13 am
WR A.J. Green is both intriguing and terrifying
The mocks are coming fast and furious now. Who will the Arizona Cardinals select at number five? Your guess is as good as anybody's. Literally.
Blaine Gabbert, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn ; all names that have appeared in one mock draft or another over the last few weeks.
But this one is new. New to me anyway.
Georgia receiver A.J. Green.
So says Sports Illustrated's Peter King. In the magazine's draft preview edition, on newsstands Wednesday, King thinks the Cards will look to take the player who might be the surest thing on the board, offensively speaking.
King though, prefers Patrick Peterson at that spot.
"The way Arizona figures it, a veteran QB can be had at some point before the season to get Larry Fitzgerald the ball. What else would help the Cards' best player? The top-rated receiver on most teams' boards, who could further deflect attention from Fitzgerald. I'd prefer the best corner in the draft, to boost the 29th-rated defense, improve the athleticism in the secondary and help the return game."
At first the thought of a Fitzgerald/Green combo at the WR position makes you tremble with anticipation. Then reality sets in.
Who is going to get them the ball?
More importantly, if the Cards select Green are they doing it as insurance in case they lose Larry Fitzgerald to free agency?
In which case I find myself trembling in fear, or perhaps anger, over King's mock draft.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.