Updated Apr 20, 2011 - 8:13 am
WR A.J. Green is both intriguing and terrifying
The mocks are coming fast and furious now. Who will the Arizona Cardinals select at number five? Your guess is as good as anybody's. Literally.
Blaine Gabbert, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn ; all names that have appeared in one mock draft or another over the last few weeks.
But this one is new. New to me anyway.
Georgia receiver A.J. Green.
So says Sports Illustrated's Peter King. In the magazine's draft preview edition, on newsstands Wednesday, King thinks the Cards will look to take the player who might be the surest thing on the board, offensively speaking.
King though, prefers Patrick Peterson at that spot.
"The way Arizona figures it, a veteran QB can be had at some point before the season to get Larry Fitzgerald the ball. What else would help the Cards' best player? The top-rated receiver on most teams' boards, who could further deflect attention from Fitzgerald. I'd prefer the best corner in the draft, to boost the 29th-rated defense, improve the athleticism in the secondary and help the return game."
At first the thought of a Fitzgerald/Green combo at the WR position makes you tremble with anticipation. Then reality sets in.
Who is going to get them the ball?
More importantly, if the Cards select Green are they doing it as insurance in case they lose Larry Fitzgerald to free agency?
In which case I find myself trembling in fear, or perhaps anger, over King's mock draft.
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!