Updated Apr 21, 2011 - 12:17 pm
Cardinals need to think Dalton at QB, regardless of hair color
The Arizona Cardinals need to draft a quarterback in the NFL Draft next week.
What they don't have to do is draft one with the No. 5 overall pick.
When their turn comes in the second round for the 38th pick, if TCU's Andy Dalton is still on the board he needs to be taken with that pick.
Taking him in the second round eliminates the ridiculous amount of signing bonus money you would owe him.
I don't think the difference between Dalton and Blaine Gabbert is that different. And to be completely honest, if both Dalton and Cam Newton were available I would choose Dalton.
What weaknesses does Dalton have?
It must be tough finding them because we are at the point where his hair color is becoming a discussion.
Dalton having red hair has no affect on me.
Think that's a ridiculous claim?
At least one team has had that cross their mind, according to Peter King.
At least one team is thinking not just about Dalton's brains but also about what's on top of them. "Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who's really done well?" a coach asked one reporter last week. "It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We've wondered."
Dalton is a winner. The quarterback won more games as a starting quarterback in the college ranks except for Colt McCoy.
If he's still not taken and the first few picks of the second round have passed, the Cardinals need to take a good, long, hard look at putting him in a red uniform.
That is all, of course, under the assumption that the Cardinals haven't already selected a quarterback with their first pick.
If that ends up being the case, that will be a disappointment. On more levels than one.
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.