Updated Apr 21, 2011 - 12:17 pm
Cardinals need to think Dalton at QB, regardless of hair color
The Arizona Cardinals need to draft a quarterback in the NFL Draft next week.
What they don't have to do is draft one with the No. 5 overall pick.
When their turn comes in the second round for the 38th pick, if TCU's Andy Dalton is still on the board he needs to be taken with that pick.
Taking him in the second round eliminates the ridiculous amount of signing bonus money you would owe him.
I don't think the difference between Dalton and Blaine Gabbert is that different. And to be completely honest, if both Dalton and Cam Newton were available I would choose Dalton.
What weaknesses does Dalton have?
It must be tough finding them because we are at the point where his hair color is becoming a discussion.
Dalton having red hair has no affect on me.
Think that's a ridiculous claim?
At least one team has had that cross their mind, according to Peter King.
At least one team is thinking not just about Dalton's brains but also about what's on top of them. "Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who's really done well?" a coach asked one reporter last week. "It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We've wondered."
Dalton is a winner. The quarterback won more games as a starting quarterback in the college ranks except for Colt McCoy.
If he's still not taken and the first few picks of the second round have passed, the Cardinals need to take a good, long, hard look at putting him in a red uniform.
That is all, of course, under the assumption that the Cardinals haven't already selected a quarterback with their first pick.
If that ends up being the case, that will be a disappointment. On more levels than one.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!