Updated Apr 28, 2011 - 11:03 am
Analyst thinks Cardinals could trade down
With the fifth pick in the NFL draft the Arizona Cardinals select … no one?
It may sound odd but that could be the case come early Thursday evening. ESPN NFL analyst Adam Schefter on the Sports 620 KTAR's Gambo and Ash show on Wednesday said the Cards could seriously consider trading down in the first round of the draft.
"When it comes down to it, Arizona is going to have a choice. They're going to have to decide whether to take Patrick Peterson, Blaine Gabbert or trade down," said Schefter.
The ESPN analyst believes Cam Newton will go number one to Carolina, Von Miller to Denver second, Marcell Dareus third to Buffalo and then A.J. Green to the Bengals fourth before the Cardinals pick.
Trading down may not be a bad idea. If players like Dareus, Miller and Green are off the board, the best value may be to deal the No. 5 pick and stockpile picks. The Cardinals aren't a team with the luxury of having only one hole to fill. They have numerous issues and having a plethora of draft picks could go a long way to addressing them.
Schefter believes the Cardinals at number five could be in a good position to swing a deal.
"If you want Patrick Peterson or Julio Jones in this draft, you have to come to Arizona's spot. Arizona is sitting in a pretty good position where it might be able to field some offers and if one is enticing and good enough, then the Cardinals could look to deal," said Schefter.
When the Cardinals are on the clock if one of the ‘surefire' impact players aren't available, if you believe Schefter, don't be surprised if they make a trade. Especially if a guy like Blaine Gabbert is still on the board and a team in desperate need of a quarterback offers a great deal.
However, with the Cardinals desperately needing a quarterback, passing on Gabbert might be risky.
"If Arizona passes on Gabbert, they're facing the prospect of facing him for the next ten years if he goes to San Francisco at number seven," said Schefter.
By tomorrow, these questions will all have been answered as we will finally know who the Cardinals will or won't select.
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?