Updated Apr 27, 2011 - 12:49 pm
Cardinals GM Graves gives 'War Room' insight
The Cincinnati Bengals have made their pick, putting the Arizona Cardinals "on the clock."
From that point the team has 10 minutes to submit a name to the NFL that commissioner Roger Goodell will read, verifying the team's selection and ending weeks of speculation. It's also the culmination of months of preparation.
"We've spent a lot of time talking about who we would select and the order that we would select those guys," Cardinals GM Rod Graves told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "But as the time approaches, where maybe we're two, three picks away, we put those names into what we call a 'bullpen', and we'll start to get those players on the phone, make sure that they're OK, that nobody's incarcerated or nobody has just crossed the street and been hit by a car or something along those lines."
Sounds like a good idea to me, as nobody wants to draft a player who can't even play (insert Buster Davis joke here).
But even when they may have a guy in mind, Graves said they tend not to rush in making a choice, as they are willing to sit back and wait to see if a trade offer materializes.
"We will evaluate whether or not we'll be enticed by a trade or we'll go ahead and make our selection," he said.
And, if ESPN's Adam Schefter is to be believed, trading down in the first round is a very real possibility.
As Graves noted, however, while they won't rush to submit a name they will not wait until the very last second either. So, if there are just a couple minutes left on the clock, odds are the next player picked will be an Arizona Cardinal.
"Probably with just a few minutes left on the clock we'll just turn the selection in if we're not enticed by any sort of trade proposal," he said.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.