Updated Apr 27, 2011 - 12:49 pm
Cardinals GM Graves gives 'War Room' insight
The Cincinnati Bengals have made their pick, putting the Arizona Cardinals "on the clock."
From that point the team has 10 minutes to submit a name to the NFL that commissioner Roger Goodell will read, verifying the team's selection and ending weeks of speculation. It's also the culmination of months of preparation.
"We've spent a lot of time talking about who we would select and the order that we would select those guys," Cardinals GM Rod Graves told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "But as the time approaches, where maybe we're two, three picks away, we put those names into what we call a 'bullpen', and we'll start to get those players on the phone, make sure that they're OK, that nobody's incarcerated or nobody has just crossed the street and been hit by a car or something along those lines."
Sounds like a good idea to me, as nobody wants to draft a player who can't even play (insert Buster Davis joke here).
But even when they may have a guy in mind, Graves said they tend not to rush in making a choice, as they are willing to sit back and wait to see if a trade offer materializes.
"We will evaluate whether or not we'll be enticed by a trade or we'll go ahead and make our selection," he said.
And, if ESPN's Adam Schefter is to be believed, trading down in the first round is a very real possibility.
As Graves noted, however, while they won't rush to submit a name they will not wait until the very last second either. So, if there are just a couple minutes left on the clock, odds are the next player picked will be an Arizona Cardinal.
"Probably with just a few minutes left on the clock we'll just turn the selection in if we're not enticed by any sort of trade proposal," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves