Updated Apr 27, 2011 - 12:49 pm
Cardinals GM Graves gives 'War Room' insight
The Cincinnati Bengals have made their pick, putting the Arizona Cardinals "on the clock."
From that point the team has 10 minutes to submit a name to the NFL that commissioner Roger Goodell will read, verifying the team's selection and ending weeks of speculation. It's also the culmination of months of preparation.
"We've spent a lot of time talking about who we would select and the order that we would select those guys," Cardinals GM Rod Graves told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "But as the time approaches, where maybe we're two, three picks away, we put those names into what we call a 'bullpen', and we'll start to get those players on the phone, make sure that they're OK, that nobody's incarcerated or nobody has just crossed the street and been hit by a car or something along those lines."
Sounds like a good idea to me, as nobody wants to draft a player who can't even play (insert Buster Davis joke here).
But even when they may have a guy in mind, Graves said they tend not to rush in making a choice, as they are willing to sit back and wait to see if a trade offer materializes.
"We will evaluate whether or not we'll be enticed by a trade or we'll go ahead and make our selection," he said.
And, if ESPN's Adam Schefter is to be believed, trading down in the first round is a very real possibility.
As Graves noted, however, while they won't rush to submit a name they will not wait until the very last second either. So, if there are just a couple minutes left on the clock, odds are the next player picked will be an Arizona Cardinal.
"Probably with just a few minutes left on the clock we'll just turn the selection in if we're not enticed by any sort of trade proposal," he said.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b