Updated May 3, 2011 - 6:59 pm
Warner on Kevin Kolb: 'Guy you could build around'
Kurt Warner is aware of what Kevin Kolb can do.
"You see the athleticism, you see the big arm, you see the ability to make big plays, which he's done," the former Cardinals QB told Sports 620 KTAR's Gambo and Ash Tuesday. "But you've also seen, at times, maybe a lack of vision, being able to see the whole field and make all the decisions that need to be made.
"But you've got to remember, this guy's only been in the league a couple of years and only played a few games."
And therein lies the rub when it comes to the Cardinals' - - or any team's -- pursuit of the 26-year-old Eagles backup: he just hasn't played enough to know just how good he is or will be.
What we have seen of Kolb, so far, is mediocrity. He's thrown 11 touchdowns and 14 interceptions, and has a career QB rating of 73.2. Having sat behind Donovan McNabb for years and learned from Andy Reid, there are many who believe Kolb is a budding star, needing only an opportunity to showcase his ability. He had a chance, albeit a brief one, last season. He started the first game of the year, got injured, and watched Michael Vick take the job and, literally, run with it. Warner, though, said Reid, a noted quarterback guru, must see something in Kolb.
"It says something when a guy like Andy Reid trades away Donovan McNabb to make him a starter," he noted.
If Kolb is traded to Arizona he will certainly arrive as the team's new starting quarterback. Whether or not he can handle the job is unsure, but if he is who much of the NFL thinks he is then he will be a good team's quarterback for years to come.
"He's probably the best upside," Warner said of all the available QBs. "Obviously being a young guy, this is a guy you could get, this is a guy you could build around for 10 years.
"That's got to excite an organization, or excite the Cardinals if they're able to land him."
That "if" seems to be turning more into "when", though nothing will happen until the NFL resolves its labor issue. Until then, though, it's certainly fun to speculate about who the Cardinals will acquire, though if it ends up being Kolb the questions will not be about who the team will get, rather just how good the guy actually is.
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.