Updated May 4, 2011 - 10:27 am
Lions offered Cardinals three picks to get Peterson
The Detroit Lions coveted LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson. So much so that they offered the Arizona Cardinals a large portion of their draft to move up and select him.
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Lions made the Cardinals a draft day offer they apparently could refuse.
According to a person familiar with the talks, the Lions offered the Arizona Cardinals first-, second- and fourth-round choices for the Cardinals' pick, No. 5 overall.
Those picks would have been the 13th, 44th and 107th overall. Quite the haul to move up a mere six selections.
If Peterson turns out to be the defensive back everyone expects the decision will look like the right one. If he fails to reach his potential -- think Tommy Knight -- while others drafted at or after that 13th selection prosper, then fans will question the decision for years to come.
Right now there is no arguing that Peterson was the correct choice. There was a consensus among the ‘experts' that he was the closest to a ‘sure thing' in this year's draft. Regardless of what happens moving forward, the Cardinals made the right move by turning down the Lions offer.
Then again, hindsight is 20-20.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.