Updated May 4, 2011 - 10:27 am
Lions offered Cardinals three picks to get Peterson
The Detroit Lions coveted LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson. So much so that they offered the Arizona Cardinals a large portion of their draft to move up and select him.
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Lions made the Cardinals a draft day offer they apparently could refuse.
According to a person familiar with the talks, the Lions offered the Arizona Cardinals first-, second- and fourth-round choices for the Cardinals' pick, No. 5 overall.
Those picks would have been the 13th, 44th and 107th overall. Quite the haul to move up a mere six selections.
If Peterson turns out to be the defensive back everyone expects the decision will look like the right one. If he fails to reach his potential -- think Tommy Knight -- while others drafted at or after that 13th selection prosper, then fans will question the decision for years to come.
Right now there is no arguing that Peterson was the correct choice. There was a consensus among the ‘experts' that he was the closest to a ‘sure thing' in this year's draft. Regardless of what happens moving forward, the Cardinals made the right move by turning down the Lions offer.
Then again, hindsight is 20-20.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinals’ draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.