Updated May 4, 2011 - 10:27 am
Lions offered Cardinals three picks to get Peterson
The Detroit Lions coveted LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson. So much so that they offered the Arizona Cardinals a large portion of their draft to move up and select him.
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Lions made the Cardinals a draft day offer they apparently could refuse.
According to a person familiar with the talks, the Lions offered the Arizona Cardinals first-, second- and fourth-round choices for the Cardinals' pick, No. 5 overall.
Those picks would have been the 13th, 44th and 107th overall. Quite the haul to move up a mere six selections.
If Peterson turns out to be the defensive back everyone expects the decision will look like the right one. If he fails to reach his potential -- think Tommy Knight -- while others drafted at or after that 13th selection prosper, then fans will question the decision for years to come.
Right now there is no arguing that Peterson was the correct choice. There was a consensus among the ‘experts' that he was the closest to a ‘sure thing' in this year's draft. Regardless of what happens moving forward, the Cardinals made the right move by turning down the Lions offer.
Then again, hindsight is 20-20.
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.