Updated May 9, 2011 - 11:53 am
Cardinals may have competition for veteran quarterbacks
The Arizona Cardinals may have their eyes set on a few veteran quarterbacks for the upcoming season but it's starting to sound like they'll have competition for their services.
According to CSN Washington, the Washington Redskins have interest in two of the names that have been linked to the Cardinals over the last few months.
Identify a starting quarterback—John Beck may be "the man" right now but the Redskins will at least look for competition for him when free agency opens up. Rex Grossman is likely to return and such players as Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and Marc Bulger could be targeted. Every day that goes by with the lockout in place will make it more and more difficult for a quarterback brought in from the outside to take the starting job, at least early in the year.
While Hasselbeck has never been a lock to find his way to the Valley, it has been believed that Marc Bulger was almost a foregone conclusion. With Washington's interest and possibly a team like Miami, who's looking for veteran competition for Chad Henne, interested in the former Rams starter what once was looked at as a cheap solution for the Cards could get pricey.
The other interesting wrinkle is the fact that reports have suggested that Bulger is hesitant to move away from the east coast. The Redskins play just 75 minutes from Baltimore, where Bulger spent last season. If they make a similar offer to what the Cardinals might offer Bulger one would have to wonder if he'd opted to stay where he's already comfortable.
It's just another interesting twist in the already mind numbing Arizona Cardinals quarterback drama. Can the lockout end already so they can make decision?
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?