Updated May 9, 2011 - 11:53 am
Cardinals may have competition for veteran quarterbacks
The Arizona Cardinals may have their eyes set on a few veteran quarterbacks for the upcoming season but it's starting to sound like they'll have competition for their services.
According to CSN Washington, the Washington Redskins have interest in two of the names that have been linked to the Cardinals over the last few months.
Identify a starting quarterback—John Beck may be "the man" right now but the Redskins will at least look for competition for him when free agency opens up. Rex Grossman is likely to return and such players as Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and Marc Bulger could be targeted. Every day that goes by with the lockout in place will make it more and more difficult for a quarterback brought in from the outside to take the starting job, at least early in the year.
While Hasselbeck has never been a lock to find his way to the Valley, it has been believed that Marc Bulger was almost a foregone conclusion. With Washington's interest and possibly a team like Miami, who's looking for veteran competition for Chad Henne, interested in the former Rams starter what once was looked at as a cheap solution for the Cards could get pricey.
The other interesting wrinkle is the fact that reports have suggested that Bulger is hesitant to move away from the east coast. The Redskins play just 75 minutes from Baltimore, where Bulger spent last season. If they make a similar offer to what the Cardinals might offer Bulger one would have to wonder if he'd opted to stay where he's already comfortable.
It's just another interesting twist in the already mind numbing Arizona Cardinals quarterback drama. Can the lockout end already so they can make decision?
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.