Updated May 9, 2011 - 11:53 am
Cardinals may have competition for veteran quarterbacks
The Arizona Cardinals may have their eyes set on a few veteran quarterbacks for the upcoming season but it's starting to sound like they'll have competition for their services.
According to CSN Washington, the Washington Redskins have interest in two of the names that have been linked to the Cardinals over the last few months.
Identify a starting quarterback—John Beck may be "the man" right now but the Redskins will at least look for competition for him when free agency opens up. Rex Grossman is likely to return and such players as Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and Marc Bulger could be targeted. Every day that goes by with the lockout in place will make it more and more difficult for a quarterback brought in from the outside to take the starting job, at least early in the year.
While Hasselbeck has never been a lock to find his way to the Valley, it has been believed that Marc Bulger was almost a foregone conclusion. With Washington's interest and possibly a team like Miami, who's looking for veteran competition for Chad Henne, interested in the former Rams starter what once was looked at as a cheap solution for the Cards could get pricey.
The other interesting wrinkle is the fact that reports have suggested that Bulger is hesitant to move away from the east coast. The Redskins play just 75 minutes from Baltimore, where Bulger spent last season. If they make a similar offer to what the Cardinals might offer Bulger one would have to wonder if he'd opted to stay where he's already comfortable.
It's just another interesting twist in the already mind numbing Arizona Cardinals quarterback drama. Can the lockout end already so they can make decision?
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.