Updated May 9, 2011 - 11:53 am
Cardinals may have competition for veteran quarterbacks
The Arizona Cardinals may have their eyes set on a few veteran quarterbacks for the upcoming season but it's starting to sound like they'll have competition for their services.
According to CSN Washington, the Washington Redskins have interest in two of the names that have been linked to the Cardinals over the last few months.
Identify a starting quarterbackóJohn Beck may be "the man" right now but the Redskins will at least look for competition for him when free agency opens up. Rex Grossman is likely to return and such players as Matt Hasselbeck, Vince Young, and Marc Bulger could be targeted. Every day that goes by with the lockout in place will make it more and more difficult for a quarterback brought in from the outside to take the starting job, at least early in the year.
While Hasselbeck has never been a lock to find his way to the Valley, it has been believed that Marc Bulger was almost a foregone conclusion. With Washington's interest and possibly a team like Miami, who's looking for veteran competition for Chad Henne, interested in the former Rams starter what once was looked at as a cheap solution for the Cards could get pricey.
The other interesting wrinkle is the fact that reports have suggested that Bulger is hesitant to move away from the east coast. The Redskins play just 75 minutes from Baltimore, where Bulger spent last season. If they make a similar offer to what the Cardinals might offer Bulger one would have to wonder if he'd opted to stay where he's already comfortable.
It's just another interesting twist in the already mind numbing Arizona Cardinals quarterback drama. Can the lockout end already so they can make decision?
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?