Updated May 20, 2011 - 10:59 pm
Sporting News says Palmer worth a first-rounder for right team
PHOENIX - The Arizona Cardinals seem to have a number of options to choose from in their search to find a new starting quarterback.
The Sporting News believes that Cincinnati Bengals' quarterback Carson Palmer would be a great fit for their team.
"Overall, if a team had a good talent base but was lacking at quarterback, strongly pursuing Palmer makes sense. His value right now stands as a conditional second-round pick that could become a first-rounder based on the team's success. With those parameters, the Cardinals, Dolphins and Redskins would be the best fit for Palmer."
Many have suggested, as bad as they were last season, the Cardinals are still a good team, but just didn't have anybody to replace Kurt Warner when he retired.
The idea would be to plug Palmer in for Warner next season and Arizona could return to at least being in contention to win the NFC West and get back to the playoffs.
The Sporting News identified how Palmer's strengths could benefit an Arizona team that suffered from poor quarterback play last season.
"He possesses a very strong arm and can zip the ball on deep "in" routes. Palmer does not panic or hurry with rushers closing on him, or when the pocket starts to get squeezed."
"Palmer consistently shows a willingness to throw the ball away to avoid pressure and does not force passes into bad spots. He has a quick, compact release, which helps him get rid of the ball quickly with good accuracy and velocity."
However, depending on who you believe, the Bengals have stated so far that they have zero interest in trading Palmer even if he follows through on his promise to retire rather than play for the Bengals again.
But if the Cardinals were to offer up a first round pick for Palmer, it might make it hard for Cincinnati to pass up since they will be getting nothing for Palmer to just sit at home.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?