Updated May 20, 2011 - 10:59 pm
Sporting News says Palmer worth a first-rounder for right team
PHOENIX - The Arizona Cardinals seem to have a number of options to choose from in their search to find a new starting quarterback.
The Sporting News believes that Cincinnati Bengals' quarterback Carson Palmer would be a great fit for their team.
"Overall, if a team had a good talent base but was lacking at quarterback, strongly pursuing Palmer makes sense. His value right now stands as a conditional second-round pick that could become a first-rounder based on the team's success. With those parameters, the Cardinals, Dolphins and Redskins would be the best fit for Palmer."
Many have suggested, as bad as they were last season, the Cardinals are still a good team, but just didn't have anybody to replace Kurt Warner when he retired.
The idea would be to plug Palmer in for Warner next season and Arizona could return to at least being in contention to win the NFC West and get back to the playoffs.
The Sporting News identified how Palmer's strengths could benefit an Arizona team that suffered from poor quarterback play last season.
"He possesses a very strong arm and can zip the ball on deep "in" routes. Palmer does not panic or hurry with rushers closing on him, or when the pocket starts to get squeezed."
"Palmer consistently shows a willingness to throw the ball away to avoid pressure and does not force passes into bad spots. He has a quick, compact release, which helps him get rid of the ball quickly with good accuracy and velocity."
However, depending on who you believe, the Bengals have stated so far that they have zero interest in trading Palmer even if he follows through on his promise to retire rather than play for the Bengals again.
But if the Cardinals were to offer up a first round pick for Palmer, it might make it hard for Cincinnati to pass up since they will be getting nothing for Palmer to just sit at home.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?