Updated May 25, 2011 - 3:07 pm
'The Professor' educates Cards fans on Kolb
Over the last few weeks it seems like there have been a million Kevin Kolb rumors involving the Arizona Cardinals (alright, maybe not a million, but a lot). Most of them provided little to no new information and even less reasoning on why the move would work.
On Wednesday ‘The Professor', ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton, provided an entire thousand word lesson on why Kolb to Arizona is the right fit. The main reason being, he's better than anything they had last year.
The Cardinals play in the highly suspect NFC West. Plugging in Kolb and his 60 percent accuracy should put the Cardinals -- at the very worst -- in the middle of the league for quarterback play.
Clayton may be all for the Cardinals acquiring the young Eagles quarterback, but he does caution fans that history has taught us it doesn't always work out the way people think it will.
History shows, though, a Kolb trade would be a short-term success. The debate is more the degree of the success. In the past four seasons, teams have traded for quarterbacks with moderate success.
While he doesn't give any definitive answer on whether or not Kolb will be under center for the Cardinals when the season begins, Clayton provides one of the more well thought out synopses of why such a move would work out.
What it still all comes down to is cost.
Clayton says a first round pick or two second rounders is what it's going to take to get a deal done. The question is, how much is too much to give up for the Cardinals to acquire Kolb?
That's one question Clayton and every other analyst can't answer. We'll have to wait for the lockout to end in order to find out.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves