Updated May 26, 2011 - 9:50 pm
Broncos may be asking more for Orton
Kyle Orton has been a name dropped more than once for the Arizona Cardinals' opening at starting quarterback, but things might not be so simple.
According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, the Broncos don't have a reason to trade Orton, unless the price is high enough (Read: A second round pick. Minimum) to make them rethink their stance on the 28-year-old quarterback.
The Broncos struggled last season, going 4-12. Fans are not happy with the team, or Orton, but the Broncos know he is an intelligent quarterback who picks up on systems quickly and can, given time and a touch of patience, win some football games. Add in the fact that Tim Tebow still needs a lot of coaching to get up to NFL-readiness, the asking price for Orton is only going up.
His $8.5 million contract is affordable for the Cardinals and he is in the last year of that contract, so if the Broncos decide to keep him as a long-term option they will most likely hurry to extend his contract further once NFL labor negotiations conclude - if they ever do.
If the asking price for Orton ends up being a second or possibly first round draft pick, the Cardinals will be stuck between a rock and a Kolb place, who is believed to be available around the same price.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?