Updated Jun 3, 2011 - 12:09 pm
Cardinals second best organization in NFC West
The Arizona Cardinals may have finished 5-11 and in last place in the NFC West last season, but Fox Sports' Adam Schein thinks the Cardinals are the second best organization in the division.
In his annual organizational rankings, Schein grades teams and organizations on six categories that are believed to be vital towards having a successful on-field product. Teams are graded, on a scale of 1-10, on their owner, quarterback, head coach, front office, coaching staff and intangibles (facilities, fan support and public relations).
The Cardinals were ranked as the 16th best organization in the league, and second in the division behind the Seahawks who were ranked number 12.
Arizona received an overall score of 36 (out of 60), with Ken Whisenhunt scoring an eight and the front office scoring a nine. As a whole, the coaching staff was given a six, the owner a five and the intangibles a four. The biggest surprise may have been the fact that the Cardinals received a four for their quarterback. A four is not very high, but it seems like an astronomical number for a team that does not have a starting quarterback.
I give the Cards only a 4 at quarterback because right now Kevin Kolb is a very educated guess. If it wasn't for that potential, it would be a minus-4.
The Rams and 49ers rounded out the NFC West as they were ranked number 19 and number 24.
It is exciting for fans to see the Cardinals ranked so high, but unfortunately for Cardinals fans, strong organizational assets have not seemed to translate into wins as of late.
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves