Updated Jun 7, 2011 - 4:29 pm
Larry Fitzgerald is more than a football player
Larry Fitzgerald is known for a lot of things, such as his amazing ability to snatch footballs from the air like a frog grabs a fly, his long flowing hair and his affable nature.
One thing Fitzgerald doesn't get nearly enough attention for is the great work he does for charities across the country.
Whether it's the fundraising he does for the endowment set up in his mother's memory (the Carol Fitzgerald Memorial Fund), the work he does with the Larry Fitzgerald First Down Fund that helps children and their family or with various other charitable endeavours, Fitzgerald shares his time and money openly.
It's something he says has been a part of his life since a young age.
"It's always been important," Fitzgerald said when asked about his desire to do community service. "I think it was instilled in my brother and I by our parents. I think the companies I represent. They expect us to go out there and represent the brand in the right way."
One of the newest charitable ventures Fitzgerald is involved in is the Semper Fi Fund, which provides help to injured and critically ill members of the U.S. Armed Forces. He feels the fund, which one of his sponsors EAS is donating to, aligns perfectly with his desire to help others.
"A perfect example is the fund EAS is putting together for the military," the star wide receiver said. "I think it's a tremendous thing they're doing. It really means a lot to me. My family have served in the military. My grandfather had a purple heart and I have an aunt and an uncle who are currently in the Army that are both lieutenant colonels. I understand the sacrifice they make for our country, the things they do and the stresses it puts on their family. I think it's amazing what they're doing for these families."
From now until June 17 EAS will donate money to the Semper Fi Fund for every video viewed on www.UnstoppableTour.com.
So the next time you watch Fitzgerald take the field remember there is a lot more to the man than just amazing athletic ability; there is a big heart willing to help those in need.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!