Updated Jun 7, 2011 - 4:29 pm
Larry Fitzgerald is more than a football player
Larry Fitzgerald is known for a lot of things, such as his amazing ability to snatch footballs from the air like a frog grabs a fly, his long flowing hair and his affable nature.
One thing Fitzgerald doesn't get nearly enough attention for is the great work he does for charities across the country.
Whether it's the fundraising he does for the endowment set up in his mother's memory (the Carol Fitzgerald Memorial Fund), the work he does with the Larry Fitzgerald First Down Fund that helps children and their family or with various other charitable endeavours, Fitzgerald shares his time and money openly.
It's something he says has been a part of his life since a young age.
"It's always been important," Fitzgerald said when asked about his desire to do community service. "I think it was instilled in my brother and I by our parents. I think the companies I represent. They expect us to go out there and represent the brand in the right way."
One of the newest charitable ventures Fitzgerald is involved in is the Semper Fi Fund, which provides help to injured and critically ill members of the U.S. Armed Forces. He feels the fund, which one of his sponsors EAS is donating to, aligns perfectly with his desire to help others.
"A perfect example is the fund EAS is putting together for the military," the star wide receiver said. "I think it's a tremendous thing they're doing. It really means a lot to me. My family have served in the military. My grandfather had a purple heart and I have an aunt and an uncle who are currently in the Army that are both lieutenant colonels. I understand the sacrifice they make for our country, the things they do and the stresses it puts on their family. I think it's amazing what they're doing for these families."
From now until June 17 EAS will donate money to the Semper Fi Fund for every video viewed on www.UnstoppableTour.com.
So the next time you watch Fitzgerald take the field remember there is a lot more to the man than just amazing athletic ability; there is a big heart willing to help those in need.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.