Larry Fitzgerald is more than a football player
Larry Fitzgerald is known for a lot of things, such as his amazing ability to snatch footballs from the air like a frog grabs a fly, his long flowing hair and his affable nature.
One thing Fitzgerald doesn't get nearly enough attention for is the great work he does for charities across the country.
Whether it's the fundraising he does for the endowment set up in his mother's memory (the Carol Fitzgerald Memorial Fund), the work he does with the Larry Fitzgerald First Down Fund that helps children and their family or with various other charitable endeavours, Fitzgerald shares his time and money openly.
It's something he says has been a part of his life since a young age.
"It's always been important," Fitzgerald said when asked about his desire to do community service. "I think it was instilled in my brother and I by our parents. I think the companies I represent. They expect us to go out there and represent the brand in the right way."
One of the newest charitable ventures Fitzgerald is involved in is the Semper Fi Fund, which provides help to injured and critically ill members of the U.S. Armed Forces. He feels the fund, which one of his sponsors EAS is donating to, aligns perfectly with his desire to help others.
"A perfect example is the fund EAS is putting together for the military," the star wide receiver said. "I think it's a tremendous thing they're doing. It really means a lot to me. My family have served in the military. My grandfather had a purple heart and I have an aunt and an uncle who are currently in the Army that are both lieutenant colonels. I understand the sacrifice they make for our country, the things they do and the stresses it puts on their family. I think it's amazing what they're doing for these families."
From now until June 17 EAS will donate money to the Semper Fi Fund for every video viewed on www.UnstoppableTour.com.
So the next time you watch Fitzgerald take the field remember there is a lot more to the man than just amazing athletic ability; there is a big heart willing to help those in need.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.