Updated Jun 7, 2011 - 9:57 am
Why were Cardinals QBs running for their lives?
If it seemed like Cardinals QBs were constantly running for their lives last season, your eyes deceived you a little bit. But not much.
According to ProFootballFocus, Arizona ranked 22nd in the NFL in pressure-per-passing play, with a rush coming 39.25% of the time.
By their count, Arizona dropped back to pass 642 times, with pressure coming on 252 plays. Of those 252, 181 were credited to the offensive line, 26 to skill players and six to the quarterbacks themselves.
Of course, just because a QB is pressured does not mean he has to get sacked -- at least, for most teams not named the Cardinals.
Arizona allowed pressure to turn into sacks 17.86% of the time, ranking 28th in the NFL. Only the Bears, Seahawks, Ravens and Panthers were worse. Three of the four teams made the playoffs, further proving that in the NFL a good quarterback can make all the difference.
What does this mean for the Cardinals? Well, we knew their offense struggled in 2010, and rightfully pointed to the offensive line as a reason. However, a bad quarterback can make a mediocre line look much, much worse.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.