Updated Jun 9, 2011 - 10:24 am
Cardinals' offensive line among league's bottom third
Although often overlooked, the offensive line may be the most important part of a football team.
Without strong offensive line play a team's offense is virtually ineffective. No matter how good a running back or quarterback may be, it is next to impossible to be effective on the ground, or through the air, if there is no one blocking.
According to a report by ProFootballFocus.com, the Arizona Cardinals had the No. 21 ranked pass protection unit in the NFL last season.
This may be hard for some Cardinals fans to fathom as they watched a 5-11 team struggle week after week and probably assumed that their line was a lot worse than the numbers suggest.
While the pass protection rankings may be surprising to some, Levi Brown gave up 70 total pressures last season and finished with a pass blocking grade worse than any other player in the NFL.
In addition to the pass protection ratings, the Cardinals also ranked No. 22 in pressure allowed per play, No. 28 in sack percentage and No. 18 in average number of blockers per play.
It is a bit strange to see the Cardinals in the middle of the pack as far as blockers per play, yet towards the bottom in sacks and pressure. That is what happens when a team has a few inefficient players on the line. Having a lot of people blocking does no good if they do not actually block.
It may be discouraging to some to see where the Cardinals' offensive line ranks, but the Pittsburgh Steelers did rank last in the league in pass protection. Even with such poor line play, they reached the Super Bowl proving it is possible to overcome such struggles.
Then again, the Steelers do have Roethlisberger, a big quarterback that can fend off defenders, while the Cardinals are still without a quarterback.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.