Updated Jun 23, 2011 - 11:51 am
Wilson, Lenon, Adams among league leaders in stops
While the job of stopping the offense rests on the defense as a whole, it is up to specific individuals to make tackles on players.
As is the case in all walks of life, some are better at it than others.
Footballoutsiders.com took the time to calculate the number of tackles on passing plays as well as the number of "stops" for players during the 2010 season. For those unaware, Football Outsiders defines a stop as:
The total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent a successful play by the offense, defined as 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, and 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. In general, "plays" refers to tackles, passes defensed, fumbles forced, or interceptions. The exception is when discussing pass defense data from the FO game charting project, in which case "plays" refers to all charted passes with the given player as the listed defender.
Arizona Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams finished the year with a 47-percent stop rate, which ranked second among corners in the NFL last season.
Safety Adrian Wilson and linebacker Paris Lenon were also among the league leaders at their respective positions.
Wilson was tenth among all safeties, while Lenon was second among linebackers in the NFL and first among NFC linebackers.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!