Updated Jun 23, 2011 - 11:51 am
Wilson, Lenon, Adams among league leaders in stops
While the job of stopping the offense rests on the defense as a whole, it is up to specific individuals to make tackles on players.
As is the case in all walks of life, some are better at it than others.
Footballoutsiders.com took the time to calculate the number of tackles on passing plays as well as the number of "stops" for players during the 2010 season. For those unaware, Football Outsiders defines a stop as:
The total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent a successful play by the offense, defined as 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, and 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. In general, "plays" refers to tackles, passes defensed, fumbles forced, or interceptions. The exception is when discussing pass defense data from the FO game charting project, in which case "plays" refers to all charted passes with the given player as the listed defender.
Arizona Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams finished the year with a 47-percent stop rate, which ranked second among corners in the NFL last season.
Safety Adrian Wilson and linebacker Paris Lenon were also among the league leaders at their respective positions.
Wilson was tenth among all safeties, while Lenon was second among linebackers in the NFL and first among NFC linebackers.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b