Updated Jun 27, 2011 - 10:41 am
Arizona Cardinals could be interested in Ike Taylor
The phrase ‘I like Ike' isn't just for 1952 Presidential campaigns anymore. It may be what the Arizona Cardinals are saying this offseason in reference to Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor.
"Let's say they deal [Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie] and bring in Kevin Kolb as their quarterback," Sports 620 KTAR's Ron Wolfley said on Doug and Wolf. "Does Ike Taylor make sense at the corner opposite of Patrick Peterson? I can tell you it makes perfect sense for so many different reasons. Number one, we're talking about a grizzled veteran. A guy who is a true players pro. He's a professional. A guy that would mentor a young Patrick Peterson. A guy that has been in the league nine years and he's been durable as well. He's missed three games in nine years.
"This is a guy who would be a perfect fit because he already knows Ray Horton's defense. He'd have to be brought up to speed on the terminology but playing corner is not exactly the same as playing quarterback in the National Football League if you get my drift. Ike Taylor could do it. You could bring him in. He'd be the perfect guy in this system."
The idea of a veteran cornerback to mentor Peterson and Greg Toler is a good one. The idea of one who can come in and know Horton's system with the truncated timetable the lockout will give players and teams to get ready is a great one.
Taylor's familiarity with Horton and his durability make him a very interesting option if the club looks to deal Rodgers-Cromartie. He also could be a valuable asset for a secondary who struggled to make tackles in 2010.
He's just another name to add to the ever growing list of players the Cardinals might have interest in if the lockout ever comes to an end.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.