Updated Jun 27, 2011 - 10:41 am
Arizona Cardinals could be interested in Ike Taylor
The phrase ‘I like Ike' isn't just for 1952 Presidential campaigns anymore. It may be what the Arizona Cardinals are saying this offseason in reference to Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor.
"Let's say they deal [Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie] and bring in Kevin Kolb as their quarterback," Sports 620 KTAR's Ron Wolfley said on Doug and Wolf. "Does Ike Taylor make sense at the corner opposite of Patrick Peterson? I can tell you it makes perfect sense for so many different reasons. Number one, we're talking about a grizzled veteran. A guy who is a true players pro. He's a professional. A guy that would mentor a young Patrick Peterson. A guy that has been in the league nine years and he's been durable as well. He's missed three games in nine years.
"This is a guy who would be a perfect fit because he already knows Ray Horton's defense. He'd have to be brought up to speed on the terminology but playing corner is not exactly the same as playing quarterback in the National Football League if you get my drift. Ike Taylor could do it. You could bring him in. He'd be the perfect guy in this system."
The idea of a veteran cornerback to mentor Peterson and Greg Toler is a good one. The idea of one who can come in and know Horton's system with the truncated timetable the lockout will give players and teams to get ready is a great one.
Taylor's familiarity with Horton and his durability make him a very interesting option if the club looks to deal Rodgers-Cromartie. He also could be a valuable asset for a secondary who struggled to make tackles in 2010.
He's just another name to add to the ever growing list of players the Cardinals might have interest in if the lockout ever comes to an end.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.