The Arizona Cardinals can learn from LeBron James
Larry Fitzgerald is arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL, but the Arizona Cardinals can not let his status as a free agent after the season influence what they decide to do with the quarterback position.
It is a huge mistake for an organization to base decisions around one player -- just ask the Cleveland Cavaliers.
For years the Cavs tried to appease LeBron James. They overpaid for Larry Hughes, Daniel Gibson (one of LeBron's best friends on the team) and Mo Williams. They made poor trades for Antwan Jamison and Shaquille O'Neal.
The personnel decisions didn't work out for the Cavaliers and we all know where the next chapter of the LeBron James story went.
If the Arizona Cardinals acquire Kyle Orton or Kevin Kolb they need to be doing it because they think one of them can be their quarterback for the next five to seven years, not to keep Larry Fitzgerald.
I concentrate on those two names because they are the two players that can set the Cardinals franchise back another three to four years if the move doesn't pan out.
Giving up a player or high draft pick for Orton or Kolb is making a commitment to who your quarterback is.
I understand the NBA and NFL have different salary structures and in the NFL it is much easier to reshape a team than it is in the NBA. However, the one position in the NFL that can hamstring you long-term is quarterback.
Arizona must truly believe in Kolb or Orton if they go in that direction.
If Arizona makes the move for Kolb or Orton and it doesn't work out they will be watching Larry Fitzgerald in another uniform anyway.
As any Cleveland Cavaliers fan would gladly tell you, watching your superstar go onto success in another city is not an enjoyable experience.
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br