Ray Horton thinks Cardinals defense should be one of the best in NFL
The Arizona Cardinals finished 31st in the NFL in total defense in 2010. That, and the fact that the team hasn't been able to hand out playbooks to their players due to the lockout, hasn't stopped their new defensive coordinator from having lofty goals for his squad.
Ray Horton thinks the Cards defense won't just be improved next season but could be near the top of the league.
"I've looked at every game from last year," Horton told 3TV's Warren Trent. "I looked at the players. The things we need to work on are very correctable. If we're not remarkably improved, I'd be shocked. Not surprised but shocked if we're not one of the better defenses in the league."
It's a bold statement for a first year coach who hasn't even been able to meet his new defensive players let alone teach them a new defensive scheme. One has to wonder if, for a moment, he forgot that he was no longer in Pittsburgh but rather in Arizona.
While bold statements and confidence are good characteristics for a coach to have, Cardinal fans are hesitant to buy in to that kind of act after hearing false bravado and hallow promises from the likes of Buddy Ryan and Denny Green. After a disappointing 5-11 campaign Horton and his defense will have to back up his offseason talk on the field this fall if he wants fans to believe that things have truly changed.
Making that happen will be a tough task for a first year coordinator. Especially since we're just weeks away from the scheduled start of the preseason and the pieces he'll have to work with are still a mystery.
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br