Updated Jul 21, 2011 - 6:03 pm
Hey Kevin Kolb, Larry Fitzgerald chooses you
With news of Larry Fitzgerald and Kevin Kolb working out together in Arizona coming down Thursday, all the attention has turned to whether or not this means Kolb to Arizona is basically a formality.
There are probably a few details that need to be worked out so that the Eagles backup can come lead the Cardinals, but at the very least this would seem to show that a certain Cardinals Pro Bowler would be satisfied if Kolb is indeed the choice.
"If that's not an American Idol-like audition I don't know what is," Sports 620 KTAR's Dave Burns said of the workout that likely involved Larry Fitzgerald being on the receiving end of some Kolb tosses. "Come on, that is tryout time, right?"
Burns and Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro said it was a good idea if that was in fact the idea behind the workout.
"If the price tag was too high for Kolb...I was always of the belief you could wait until next year, get a stopgap," he said, adding that the Cards could have looked towards next year's rookie class for a solution. "The only problem with that is I don't know that Larry Fitzgerald is going to go through another 5-11 season.
"You've got to appease Fitz now."
Indeed, the threat of Fitzgerald leaving is not only legitimate, but something the Cardinals are probably thinking about as they map out the rest of this offseason.
However, the receiver has stated that winning is his top priority, so while he may approve of the team getting Kolb, if the QB struggles and takes the team down with him there's a good chance Fitz will be wearing a different team's uniform next season anyway.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.