Updated Jul 22, 2011 - 10:10 am
ESPN Insider: 'Shut up and vote'
While everyone is hopeful the players will recertify as a union and agree to the deal, it is not quite that simple.
"It's a messy situation," ESPN's NFL writer John Clayton said on Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf. "Trust is still not there on either side."
The owners agreed to the deal on Thursday and the players were supposed to agree to it shortly after, until they read over the owner approved CBA and noticed a few stumbling blocks.
"They were prepared to vote it in last night, but all of a sudden the curveballs that they saw was ‘we didn't agree on this, we can't vote on it,'" Clayton said.
This may be the most progress made in months, but the lockout is still in effect and time is of the essence as one game has already been cancelled.
The annual Hall of Fame game has been cancelled and Clayton estimates that if the lockout continues past Wednesday or Thursday, the first week of preseason games will be missed.
Although the players want to approve a deal and get back to work, things get complicated when over a thousand players are involved as they all have different opinions. While getting large groups of people to agree upon one thing is a difficult task, Clayton makes it simple by offering one simple suggestion to the players.
"This is the best deal, shut up and vote."
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves