Updated Jul 22, 2011 - 5:21 pm
Re-up or Reject: Deuce Lutui
The Arizona Cardinals are not known for having a dominant offensive line. The pieces have changed over the years, yet the results have been, mostly, mediocre.
The longest-tenured player on the line is guard Deuce Lutui, who joined the Cardinals as a rookie during the 2006 season. After an acrimonious contract battle last year, Lutui enters this offseason as an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.
Re-up: Coach Ken Whisenhunt is a fan of having continuity along the offensive line, and he already has to replace his left guard, who retired. Lutui knows the system and, when motivated, is an above average run blocker. He is also a fiery player, able to get under the skin of his opponents. Certainly a good guy to have on the team.
Reject: Lutui came into camp out of shape last year, showing that unless he was being paid he could not be properly motivated. What will happen when he gets a nice, new contract? Furthermore, he's not exactly a Pro-Bowler. Lutui has been a stalwart on a line that has struggled; at what point do you cut ties and say "enough's enough?"
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.