Updated Jul 25, 2011 - 9:01 am
The NFL lockout was about money not safety
The NFL lockout is over and as the dust settles many people still think all of this was about protecting the players. Don't count Ron Wolfley as one of them.
Wolfley would like fans to remember, in the end this was all about the money.
"A lot of people are saying this was quality of life the players were looking for. Just knock it off," Wolfley told listeners of Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "This wasn't just about quality of life. The fact that they didn't want two-a-days any more where you could just put somebody through the meat grinder. It's not about that. It's not about all the OTAs in the offseason. Yeah, that was important to the players, but it's still about the money. Make no mistake about this. When you hear they took 48 percent, yeah it's of all revenue now. There's no one billion dollar exemption for the owners."
Players and owners will now be splitting all the revenue in the league and that is nothing but good news for fans who want to make sure that their favorite sport avoids another lockout in the near future. With both sides splitting things almost equally, everyone should be happy.
"The NFLPA they are true partners with the NFL," Wolf said. "As the NFL grows so does the NFLPA. A lot of people are missing the point on this saying ‘it's about quality of life for the player.' You've got to be joking. This was about money, it always has been about money. Now, this win-win has occurred. It's a true partnership in the NFL."
That partnership means we'll have football in the next few days, and that's a win-win for everyone.
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?