Updated Jul 25, 2011 - 9:01 am
The NFL lockout was about money not safety
The NFL lockout is over and as the dust settles many people still think all of this was about protecting the players. Don't count Ron Wolfley as one of them.
Wolfley would like fans to remember, in the end this was all about the money.
"A lot of people are saying this was quality of life the players were looking for. Just knock it off," Wolfley told listeners of Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "This wasn't just about quality of life. The fact that they didn't want two-a-days any more where you could just put somebody through the meat grinder. It's not about that. It's not about all the OTAs in the offseason. Yeah, that was important to the players, but it's still about the money. Make no mistake about this. When you hear they took 48 percent, yeah it's of all revenue now. There's no one billion dollar exemption for the owners."
Players and owners will now be splitting all the revenue in the league and that is nothing but good news for fans who want to make sure that their favorite sport avoids another lockout in the near future. With both sides splitting things almost equally, everyone should be happy.
"The NFLPA they are true partners with the NFL," Wolf said. "As the NFL grows so does the NFLPA. A lot of people are missing the point on this saying ‘it's about quality of life for the player.' You've got to be joking. This was about money, it always has been about money. Now, this win-win has occurred. It's a true partnership in the NFL."
That partnership means we'll have football in the next few days, and that's a win-win for everyone.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.