Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson
The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to a five-year contract with first-round draft choice Patrick Peterson according to the team's website.
They weren't the first to announce the deal though. The cornerback told his followers on Twitter early Saturday afternoon that he was leaving Florida and was on his way to the Cards training camp in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff here I come, can't wait to meet all my teammates tomm. #birdgang
Peterson was selected with the fifth pick in the draft. While in years past negotiating with such a high selection would have been difficult, the NFL's new CBA has made the process much less painful for teams by removing a majority of the negotiation and slotting first year players salaries.
That's good news because the more time that Peterson has in training camp to learn defensive coordinator Ray Horton's system the better. By dealing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for quarterback Kevin Kolb the Cards will likely rely on Peterson to start along with free agent acquisition Richard Marshall who the team signed on Saturday as well.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?