Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson
The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to a five-year contract with first-round draft choice Patrick Peterson according to the team's website.
They weren't the first to announce the deal though. The cornerback told his followers on Twitter early Saturday afternoon that he was leaving Florida and was on his way to the Cards training camp in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff here I come, can't wait to meet all my teammates tomm. #birdgang
Peterson was selected with the fifth pick in the draft. While in years past negotiating with such a high selection would have been difficult, the NFL's new CBA has made the process much less painful for teams by removing a majority of the negotiation and slotting first year players salaries.
That's good news because the more time that Peterson has in training camp to learn defensive coordinator Ray Horton's system the better. By dealing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for quarterback Kevin Kolb the Cards will likely rely on Peterson to start along with free agent acquisition Richard Marshall who the team signed on Saturday as well.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!