Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson
The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to a five-year contract with first-round draft choice Patrick Peterson according to the team's website.
They weren't the first to announce the deal though. The cornerback told his followers on Twitter early Saturday afternoon that he was leaving Florida and was on his way to the Cards training camp in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff here I come, can't wait to meet all my teammates tomm. #birdgang
Peterson was selected with the fifth pick in the draft. While in years past negotiating with such a high selection would have been difficult, the NFL's new CBA has made the process much less painful for teams by removing a majority of the negotiation and slotting first year players salaries.
That's good news because the more time that Peterson has in training camp to learn defensive coordinator Ray Horton's system the better. By dealing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for quarterback Kevin Kolb the Cards will likely rely on Peterson to start along with free agent acquisition Richard Marshall who the team signed on Saturday as well.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!