Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson
The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to a five-year contract with first-round draft choice Patrick Peterson according to the team's website.
They weren't the first to announce the deal though. The cornerback told his followers on Twitter early Saturday afternoon that he was leaving Florida and was on his way to the Cards training camp in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff here I come, can't wait to meet all my teammates tomm. #birdgang
Peterson was selected with the fifth pick in the draft. While in years past negotiating with such a high selection would have been difficult, the NFL's new CBA has made the process much less painful for teams by removing a majority of the negotiation and slotting first year players salaries.
That's good news because the more time that Peterson has in training camp to learn defensive coordinator Ray Horton's system the better. By dealing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for quarterback Kevin Kolb the Cards will likely rely on Peterson to start along with free agent acquisition Richard Marshall who the team signed on Saturday as well.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.