Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 5:36 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson
The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to a five-year contract with first-round draft choice Patrick Peterson according to the team's website.
They weren't the first to announce the deal though. The cornerback told his followers on Twitter early Saturday afternoon that he was leaving Florida and was on his way to the Cards training camp in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff here I come, can't wait to meet all my teammates tomm. #birdgang
Peterson was selected with the fifth pick in the draft. While in years past negotiating with such a high selection would have been difficult, the NFL's new CBA has made the process much less painful for teams by removing a majority of the negotiation and slotting first year players salaries.
That's good news because the more time that Peterson has in training camp to learn defensive coordinator Ray Horton's system the better. By dealing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie for quarterback Kevin Kolb the Cards will likely rely on Peterson to start along with free agent acquisition Richard Marshall who the team signed on Saturday as well.
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.