Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 7:00 pm
Daryn Colledge ready for new challenges with the Arizona Cardinals
Daryn Colledge reached the pinnacle of the NFL in February when he won the Super Bowl as a member of the Green Bay Packers. In the same season he was at the top of the league his new team, the Arizona Cardinals, finished at the bottom of the NFC West. That's alright with the offensive guard though, he's looking forward to the challenge.
"I think it was an exciting opportunity," Colledge told reporters in Flagstaff Saturday. "This was a team that was in the Super Bowl a few years ago. A lot of that talent is still here. These guys are extremely talented. I know they had a down year last year but I thought it was an opportunity to be a part of a project. That's exciting to me. I won a world championship last year and that felt great but I'd love to try and do it again with a team that's starting out at the bottom."
While some may take issue with Colledge referring to the Cardinals as a ‘project', the honesty is refreshing. The team finished 5-11 last season and will not only have a new quarterback in Kevin Kolb but a completely revamped offensive line. Those changes will make getting to know each and staying healthy a huge deal for the unit.
"Chemistry is the most important thing for an offensive line," Colledge said. "For us it's going to be getting into camp as soon as we can and staying healthy. If we can find a way to keep five guys in there healthy for a full season we have a great opportunity to have a lot of success."
That success will be judged on how well Colledge and his new linemates protect the aforementioned Kolb. Just because the guard hasn't played with his new quarterback before he is familiar with him.
"I know Kevin in passing since my Green Bay Packers took him out," he said as reporters laughed. "Me and Kevin have a relationship but this one will be much more friendly. I know he's talented. I know what he can do. I've seen him play. He's a talented quarterback and I'm excited to block for him."
He'll get his first opportunity to do that in a little over a week as the Cardinals open their preseason at Oakland on August 11 at 7 p.m.
Sports 620 KTAR's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!