Updated Jul 30, 2011 - 7:00 pm
Daryn Colledge ready for new challenges with the Arizona Cardinals
Daryn Colledge reached the pinnacle of the NFL in February when he won the Super Bowl as a member of the Green Bay Packers. In the same season he was at the top of the league his new team, the Arizona Cardinals, finished at the bottom of the NFC West. That's alright with the offensive guard though, he's looking forward to the challenge.
"I think it was an exciting opportunity," Colledge told reporters in Flagstaff Saturday. "This was a team that was in the Super Bowl a few years ago. A lot of that talent is still here. These guys are extremely talented. I know they had a down year last year but I thought it was an opportunity to be a part of a project. That's exciting to me. I won a world championship last year and that felt great but I'd love to try and do it again with a team that's starting out at the bottom."
While some may take issue with Colledge referring to the Cardinals as a ‘project', the honesty is refreshing. The team finished 5-11 last season and will not only have a new quarterback in Kevin Kolb but a completely revamped offensive line. Those changes will make getting to know each and staying healthy a huge deal for the unit.
"Chemistry is the most important thing for an offensive line," Colledge said. "For us it's going to be getting into camp as soon as we can and staying healthy. If we can find a way to keep five guys in there healthy for a full season we have a great opportunity to have a lot of success."
That success will be judged on how well Colledge and his new linemates protect the aforementioned Kolb. Just because the guard hasn't played with his new quarterback before he is familiar with him.
"I know Kevin in passing since my Green Bay Packers took him out," he said as reporters laughed. "Me and Kevin have a relationship but this one will be much more friendly. I know he's talented. I know what he can do. I've seen him play. He's a talented quarterback and I'm excited to block for him."
He'll get his first opportunity to do that in a little over a week as the Cardinals open their preseason at Oakland on August 11 at 7 p.m.
Sports 620 KTAR's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!