Updated Aug 8, 2011 - 5:49 pm
A name for Cardinals to look at: Lee Evans
The Arizona Cardinals missed out on Braylon Edwards and Malcom Floyd, and have shown little inclination to try and coax Randy Moss out of retirement.
If at some point the team decides that they'll need more at the wide receiver position, options will be available.
"What about Lee Evans with the Buffalo Bills," Dave Burns suggested on Sports 620 KTAR's Burns and Gambo show.
Evans, 30, wouldn't be a bad option for the Cardinals. He's played all seven of his NFL seasons with the Bills, tallying 377 catches and 43 touchdowns.
Evans is known for his speed and, quite frankly, for being a victim of poor surroundings.
"He's been beaten down by so many bad years in Buffalo," John Gambadoro said on the show.
Evans reaching the free agent market would mean he was cut by Buffalo, since the former Wisconsin Badger is still under contract. So, while they may plan on parting with the former first-round pick, the team may explore a trade first.
Would the Cardinals be willing to part with more draft picks -- the likely cost for Evans -- after giving up a 2nd round pick to get Kevin Kolb?
"Lee Evans is more of a stretch the field, down-field burner kind of a guy," Burns said. "He would add that dimension that you would want."
The question for Burns was if, at 30, Evans' best years are behind him. He had a career-low 37 receptions last year and scored just four touchdowns.
"You're in your prime at 30," Gambadoro said. "Wide receiver, you touch the ball six times a game. How much slower is Lee Evans now than he was five years ago?"
That may be the question the Cardinals find themselves asking over the next couple of weeks.
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.