Updated Aug 8, 2011 - 3:00 pm
Five impressions from the Red-White scrimmage
The Arizona Cardinals held their annual Red-White scrimmage Saturday, an event seen by thousands of people, including Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf.
The two made quite a few observations Saturday, but trimmed what they saw down to a list of the top five impressions.
Number five was the amount of people who were there to watch.
"The thing that blew me away...is the attendance," Doug Franz said. "The attendance was unbelievable.
"I thought it was around 15,000, official reports are saying 13,000. They were forced to sit people up the hill because they had no more room."
Ron Wolfley said that's because people wanted to see Kevin Kolb.
"The curiosity, what possibly could be," he said.
Anthony Sherman's play, among other things, stood out to Franz as well.
"Anthony Sherman is wonderful," he said. "Anthony Sherman will kill you. He will pound you into the ground, he doesn't like you being in his rush lane; he doesn't like you being in the hole. He will remove you from that hole."
Wolfley talked about the team's performance -- overall -- before saying he was impressed with new linebacker Stewart Bradley.
"Stewart Bradley is a difference maker, and if he isn't I'm a sideline reporter," Wolfley joked.
The growth of Beanie Wells was also a topic.
"This is not your mother's Beanie Wells," Franz said. "This is a completely different Beanie Wells.
"I have never seen Beanie run this aggressive, I have never seen Beanie run this mad."
Not surprisingly, Kevin Kolb impressed both guys. Whether it was his command of the offense, as Franz notes, or his ability to get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, as Wolfley mentioned, the point is the new quarterback looked the part.
"He is acting like, in training camp, that he has been in charge of this offense for at least two years," Franz said.
"Kevin Kolb appears to be the real deal," Wolfley said.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!