Updated Aug 8, 2011 - 4:11 pm
Whisenhunt says Wilson will play this season
"We do expect him to play for us this season, that's one thing that is encouraging."
Those are the words of Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt, with regards to safety Adrian Wilson.
Wilson, who tore a tendon in his bicep during Saturday's Red-White scrimmage, told rookie Patrick Peterson he's going to play Week 1 against Carolina.
Whisenhunt is not so sure.
"It's going to all really be tied into how this rehab goes," he said. "Everybody's different so you can't really say.
"I know that if there's any way that Adrian could be back then it won't be from lack of work or trying to get it done, that's for sure."
No doubt Wilson will do everything in his power to not miss time. However, even he may not be able to play through this one, at least not yet. That's why Whisenhunt said they will have to reign the veteran in, if only a little bit.
"We have to make sure that, not only is he ready to go mentally...but physically he's ready to go," he said.
Whisenhunt said Wilson is in great shape which could help the recovery process, but that this injury does open the door for third-year pro Rashad Johnson.
"I know our defensive coaches are excited about Rashad and the progress he's made, and he's shown very well early in camp. He's one of the players I've been very pleased with."
But, no matter how much Johnson may have improved, the Cardinals would certainly like to see Wilson back as soon as possible. After all, it's hard to replace a Pro-Bowl talent.
When Wilson could return, though, is a complete unknown at this point, as Whisenhunt said it all depends on how Wilson responds to the rehab.
"My number one concern is the health of Adrian," he said. "I know he's a very tough player, and he'd go out there with one arm if he could."
ArizonaSports.com's Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.