Cam Newton could open NFL career against Cardinals
He ended his college career here, so it's a perfect place to start his professional career.
Number one overall draft pick Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers open their season against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on September 11.
If the analysts have anything to say about it, Newton will make his NFL starting debut in Glendale.
Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who mentored Newton prior to the draft, said the Cards will face a new Panthers team, likely spear-headed by their new quarterback.
"Cam has a chance to start Day One just because of where they are right now at the quarterback position -- no really strong incumbent starter there -- and then the fact that they have a new coach, a new scheme; might as well start with a new quarterback," Moon said.
Moon isn't alone in those sentiments.
"He impressed Carolina and has been doing it in the first two weeks of practice," said ESPN's John Clayton, who added that he is predicting Newton will start against the Cardinals.
Newton can run the huddle, throw the ball well and has been developing at an impressive rate, Clayton said.
"Sure, he's going to make mistakes and he's going to be raw, but I think that he's already shown them enough," Clayton said.
If Newton does start, the Cardinals have an opportunity to put their mark on the young quarterback's career forever.
He can either be known for the starlet who picked apart a one-time Superbowl contender on his way to greatness, or another rookie quarterback who had a rough day and has a lot to learn.
We know which option we hope the Cardinals choose.
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Patriots TE Gronkowski undergoes back surgery
- Cardinals rookie class to be recognized before D-backs game
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br