Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 8:05 pm
Cam Newton could open NFL career against Cardinals
He ended his college career here, so it's a perfect place to start his professional career.
Number one overall draft pick Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers open their season against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on September 11.
If the analysts have anything to say about it, Newton will make his NFL starting debut in Glendale.
Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who mentored Newton prior to the draft, said the Cards will face a new Panthers team, likely spear-headed by their new quarterback.
"Cam has a chance to start Day One just because of where they are right now at the quarterback position -- no really strong incumbent starter there -- and then the fact that they have a new coach, a new scheme; might as well start with a new quarterback," Moon said.
Moon isn't alone in those sentiments.
"He impressed Carolina and has been doing it in the first two weeks of practice," said ESPN's John Clayton, who added that he is predicting Newton will start against the Cardinals.
Newton can run the huddle, throw the ball well and has been developing at an impressive rate, Clayton said.
"Sure, he's going to make mistakes and he's going to be raw, but I think that he's already shown them enough," Clayton said.
If Newton does start, the Cardinals have an opportunity to put their mark on the young quarterback's career forever.
He can either be known for the starlet who picked apart a one-time Superbowl contender on his way to greatness, or another rookie quarterback who had a rough day and has a lot to learn.
We know which option we hope the Cardinals choose.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?