Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 8:05 pm
Cam Newton could open NFL career against Cardinals
He ended his college career here, so it's a perfect place to start his professional career.
Number one overall draft pick Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers open their season against the Arizona Cardinals at the University of Phoenix Stadium on September 11.
If the analysts have anything to say about it, Newton will make his NFL starting debut in Glendale.
Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who mentored Newton prior to the draft, said the Cards will face a new Panthers team, likely spear-headed by their new quarterback.
"Cam has a chance to start Day One just because of where they are right now at the quarterback position -- no really strong incumbent starter there -- and then the fact that they have a new coach, a new scheme; might as well start with a new quarterback," Moon said.
Moon isn't alone in those sentiments.
"He impressed Carolina and has been doing it in the first two weeks of practice," said ESPN's John Clayton, who added that he is predicting Newton will start against the Cardinals.
Newton can run the huddle, throw the ball well and has been developing at an impressive rate, Clayton said.
"Sure, he's going to make mistakes and he's going to be raw, but I think that he's already shown them enough," Clayton said.
If Newton does start, the Cardinals have an opportunity to put their mark on the young quarterback's career forever.
He can either be known for the starlet who picked apart a one-time Superbowl contender on his way to greatness, or another rookie quarterback who had a rough day and has a lot to learn.
We know which option we hope the Cardinals choose.
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!