Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 10:55 am
Cardinals readying Kevin Kolb for Week 1
At the very least, Kevin Kolb looked like an NFL quarterback in the preseason opener last Thursday.
Completing 4 of 7 passes for 68 yards, Kolb found Larry Fitzgerald often enough to make you think he's getting the hang of the offense.
Still, there is a lot of work ahead of the signal caller if he is to be ready for the team's Week 1 date with Carolina.
"I think one of the biggest things is getting on the same page with all the other guys," Cardinals quarterbacks coach Chris Miller said, mentioning Todd Heap, Jeff King and Ryan Williams. "We've got some new weapons, which is exciting."
Indeed, Kolb is not the only new piece being integrated into the Cardinals way of life. However, fair or not, all eyes will be on the QB when the games start to count, with media and fans alike wondering if Arizona has solved their QB problem.
Solving Arizona's offense will make things much easier for the 27-year-old former Eagle.
"Each club has access to every play that was run by every other club throughout the league," Miller said, adding that there are no secrets. "Really it's just learning a new language, if you will. It's learning new verbiage, new terminology, getting used to those things."
Miller is confident his new passer will be ready by the time the Panthers come to University of Phoenix Stadium on September 11.
"He's making good progress now," Miller said. "We're not going to throw the entire playbook at him Week 1, we want to put a good plan together for Carolina, practice it and rep it, make sure he's comfortable with it, make sure everyone's comfortable with it."
Once Kolb is comfortable with the offense his job will be to make sure the Cardinals -- and fans -- are comfortable with him under center.
He's off to a good start.
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.