Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 10:55 am
Cardinals readying Kevin Kolb for Week 1
At the very least, Kevin Kolb looked like an NFL quarterback in the preseason opener last Thursday.
Completing 4 of 7 passes for 68 yards, Kolb found Larry Fitzgerald often enough to make you think he's getting the hang of the offense.
Still, there is a lot of work ahead of the signal caller if he is to be ready for the team's Week 1 date with Carolina.
"I think one of the biggest things is getting on the same page with all the other guys," Cardinals quarterbacks coach Chris Miller said, mentioning Todd Heap, Jeff King and Ryan Williams. "We've got some new weapons, which is exciting."
Indeed, Kolb is not the only new piece being integrated into the Cardinals way of life. However, fair or not, all eyes will be on the QB when the games start to count, with media and fans alike wondering if Arizona has solved their QB problem.
Solving Arizona's offense will make things much easier for the 27-year-old former Eagle.
"Each club has access to every play that was run by every other club throughout the league," Miller said, adding that there are no secrets. "Really it's just learning a new language, if you will. It's learning new verbiage, new terminology, getting used to those things."
Miller is confident his new passer will be ready by the time the Panthers come to University of Phoenix Stadium on September 11.
"He's making good progress now," Miller said. "We're not going to throw the entire playbook at him Week 1, we want to put a good plan together for Carolina, practice it and rep it, make sure he's comfortable with it, make sure everyone's comfortable with it."
Once Kolb is comfortable with the offense his job will be to make sure the Cardinals -- and fans -- are comfortable with him under center.
He's off to a good start.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.