Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 4:30 pm
Fitzgerald says Cardinals have makings of a 'special backfield'
The Cardinals' running game hasn't been anything worth writing home about since the team moved to the desert, but that could change this season.
Arizona enters the season with Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams and LaRod Stephens-Howling atop the depth chart, each bringing a different skill to the table.
Combined, Larry Fitzgerald thinks the group will do big things.
"I'm just in awe, I see him every day in practice and he makes something special happen," the receiver told Sports 620 KTAR's Sports Interactive of the rookie Williams, who made a move Sunday that Fitzgerald said "fans were cheated out of" seeing. "Him and Beanie are really going to be a nice 1-2 combo, and then you bring in LaRod Stephens-Howling to change it up.
"It's going to be a special backfield for us."
You wouldn't think a receiver would be excited for the team's running game, as more Wells, Williams and Stephens-Howling would mean less Fitzgerald.
But Fitzgerald has always said his priority is to win, and an improved running game would help him accomplish just that.
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.