Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 4:30 pm
Fitzgerald says Cardinals have makings of a 'special backfield'
The Cardinals' running game hasn't been anything worth writing home about since the team moved to the desert, but that could change this season.
Arizona enters the season with Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams and LaRod Stephens-Howling atop the depth chart, each bringing a different skill to the table.
Combined, Larry Fitzgerald thinks the group will do big things.
"I'm just in awe, I see him every day in practice and he makes something special happen," the receiver told Sports 620 KTAR's Sports Interactive of the rookie Williams, who made a move Sunday that Fitzgerald said "fans were cheated out of" seeing. "Him and Beanie are really going to be a nice 1-2 combo, and then you bring in LaRod Stephens-Howling to change it up.
"It's going to be a special backfield for us."
You wouldn't think a receiver would be excited for the team's running game, as more Wells, Williams and Stephens-Howling would mean less Fitzgerald.
But Fitzgerald has always said his priority is to win, and an improved running game would help him accomplish just that.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines