Good training camp does not guarantee success for Cardinals
All things considered, the Arizona Cardinals are having a good training camp.
Since the team's first practice on July 30th up until now, the team has had to integrate new players, learn a new scheme on defense, all while preparing for games. Oh, and they didn't have new acquisitions for the first few days of camp.
Things have gone well for the team, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt does not want people to assume that a good camp will lead to a better season.
"Let's not color or judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season, I think that's the easy thing to do," he said. "Our guys worked hard last year in camp, we had some things that didn't go the way we wanted them to go in season."
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then again, last year's camp featured uncertainty at quarterback, as the team was trying to see if Matt Leinart could be the one to replace the retired Kurt Warner. That isn't the case now, as the team acquired Kevin Kolb so that he could be the starter. Period.
That alone makes things just a little different this time around.
"When we get to the season, if we win football games that's the only thing that matters," Whisenhunt said. "I will say that I do like the way our team's working."
That's good to hear, especially because there is so much to work on before the September 11 regular season opener.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.