Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 3:04 pm
Good training camp does not guarantee success for Cardinals
All things considered, the Arizona Cardinals are having a good training camp.
Since the team's first practice on July 30th up until now, the team has had to integrate new players, learn a new scheme on defense, all while preparing for games. Oh, and they didn't have new acquisitions for the first few days of camp.
Things have gone well for the team, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt does not want people to assume that a good camp will lead to a better season.
"Let's not color or judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season, I think that's the easy thing to do," he said. "Our guys worked hard last year in camp, we had some things that didn't go the way we wanted them to go in season."
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then again, last year's camp featured uncertainty at quarterback, as the team was trying to see if Matt Leinart could be the one to replace the retired Kurt Warner. That isn't the case now, as the team acquired Kevin Kolb so that he could be the starter. Period.
That alone makes things just a little different this time around.
"When we get to the season, if we win football games that's the only thing that matters," Whisenhunt said. "I will say that I do like the way our team's working."
That's good to hear, especially because there is so much to work on before the September 11 regular season opener.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.