Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 3:04 pm
Good training camp does not guarantee success for Cardinals
All things considered, the Arizona Cardinals are having a good training camp.
Since the team's first practice on July 30th up until now, the team has had to integrate new players, learn a new scheme on defense, all while preparing for games. Oh, and they didn't have new acquisitions for the first few days of camp.
Things have gone well for the team, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt does not want people to assume that a good camp will lead to a better season.
"Let's not color or judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season, I think that's the easy thing to do," he said. "Our guys worked hard last year in camp, we had some things that didn't go the way we wanted them to go in season."
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then again, last year's camp featured uncertainty at quarterback, as the team was trying to see if Matt Leinart could be the one to replace the retired Kurt Warner. That isn't the case now, as the team acquired Kevin Kolb so that he could be the starter. Period.
That alone makes things just a little different this time around.
"When we get to the season, if we win football games that's the only thing that matters," Whisenhunt said. "I will say that I do like the way our team's working."
That's good to hear, especially because there is so much to work on before the September 11 regular season opener.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!