Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 3:04 pm
Good training camp does not guarantee success for Cardinals
All things considered, the Arizona Cardinals are having a good training camp.
Since the team's first practice on July 30th up until now, the team has had to integrate new players, learn a new scheme on defense, all while preparing for games. Oh, and they didn't have new acquisitions for the first few days of camp.
Things have gone well for the team, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt does not want people to assume that a good camp will lead to a better season.
"Let's not color or judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season, I think that's the easy thing to do," he said. "Our guys worked hard last year in camp, we had some things that didn't go the way we wanted them to go in season."
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then again, last year's camp featured uncertainty at quarterback, as the team was trying to see if Matt Leinart could be the one to replace the retired Kurt Warner. That isn't the case now, as the team acquired Kevin Kolb so that he could be the starter. Period.
That alone makes things just a little different this time around.
"When we get to the season, if we win football games that's the only thing that matters," Whisenhunt said. "I will say that I do like the way our team's working."
That's good to hear, especially because there is so much to work on before the September 11 regular season opener.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.