Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 3:04 pm
Good training camp does not guarantee success for Cardinals
All things considered, the Arizona Cardinals are having a good training camp.
Since the team's first practice on July 30th up until now, the team has had to integrate new players, learn a new scheme on defense, all while preparing for games. Oh, and they didn't have new acquisitions for the first few days of camp.
Things have gone well for the team, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt does not want people to assume that a good camp will lead to a better season.
"Let's not color or judgment for last year based on a 5-11 season, I think that's the easy thing to do," he said. "Our guys worked hard last year in camp, we had some things that didn't go the way we wanted them to go in season."
Yeah, that sounds about right. Then again, last year's camp featured uncertainty at quarterback, as the team was trying to see if Matt Leinart could be the one to replace the retired Kurt Warner. That isn't the case now, as the team acquired Kevin Kolb so that he could be the starter. Period.
That alone makes things just a little different this time around.
"When we get to the season, if we win football games that's the only thing that matters," Whisenhunt said. "I will say that I do like the way our team's working."
That's good to hear, especially because there is so much to work on before the September 11 regular season opener.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?