Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 2:37 pm
Kevin Kolb can run, even if nobody wants him to
Kevin Kolb dropped back to pass, saw the pressure and took off running.
Fifteen yards later, the new Cards QB had the team's first first down of the preseason.
Kolb ran again three plays later, showing an aspect of his game many didn't realize he had.
"I ran the ball quite a bit in college," Kolb said Monday. "It's not the best part of my game but I think I can get around and move if I have to."
The Cardinals, certainly, are hoping that doesn't happen often, even though their QB did rush for 19 touchdowns back in his collegiate days.
That Kolb ran with success was a good thing, but that he had to abandon looking downfield and avoid the rush most certainly was not.
Then again, as head coach Ken Whisenhunt said, it's the type of skill that could come in handy.
"I don't think you necessarily count on his ability to be able to run," he said, "but it's certainly a bonus when things break down."
In any event, nobody is going to confuse Kolb for the man who replaced him in Philadelphia anytime soon.
So, aside from the occasional QB sneak, it appears you will not be seeing Kolb off and running -- unless he absolutely has to.
"If you're asking me if we're going to have about four or five designed quarterback runs in a game, probably not," Whisenhunt said.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.