Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 2:37 pm
Kevin Kolb can run, even if nobody wants him to
Kevin Kolb dropped back to pass, saw the pressure and took off running.
Fifteen yards later, the new Cards QB had the team's first first down of the preseason.
Kolb ran again three plays later, showing an aspect of his game many didn't realize he had.
"I ran the ball quite a bit in college," Kolb said Monday. "It's not the best part of my game but I think I can get around and move if I have to."
The Cardinals, certainly, are hoping that doesn't happen often, even though their QB did rush for 19 touchdowns back in his collegiate days.
That Kolb ran with success was a good thing, but that he had to abandon looking downfield and avoid the rush most certainly was not.
Then again, as head coach Ken Whisenhunt said, it's the type of skill that could come in handy.
"I don't think you necessarily count on his ability to be able to run," he said, "but it's certainly a bonus when things break down."
In any event, nobody is going to confuse Kolb for the man who replaced him in Philadelphia anytime soon.
So, aside from the occasional QB sneak, it appears you will not be seeing Kolb off and running -- unless he absolutely has to.
"If you're asking me if we're going to have about four or five designed quarterback runs in a game, probably not," Whisenhunt said.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.