Updated Aug 15, 2011 - 2:37 pm
Kevin Kolb can run, even if nobody wants him to
Kevin Kolb dropped back to pass, saw the pressure and took off running.
Fifteen yards later, the new Cards QB had the team's first first down of the preseason.
Kolb ran again three plays later, showing an aspect of his game many didn't realize he had.
"I ran the ball quite a bit in college," Kolb said Monday. "It's not the best part of my game but I think I can get around and move if I have to."
The Cardinals, certainly, are hoping that doesn't happen often, even though their QB did rush for 19 touchdowns back in his collegiate days.
That Kolb ran with success was a good thing, but that he had to abandon looking downfield and avoid the rush most certainly was not.
Then again, as head coach Ken Whisenhunt said, it's the type of skill that could come in handy.
"I don't think you necessarily count on his ability to be able to run," he said, "but it's certainly a bonus when things break down."
In any event, nobody is going to confuse Kolb for the man who replaced him in Philadelphia anytime soon.
So, aside from the occasional QB sneak, it appears you will not be seeing Kolb off and running -- unless he absolutely has to.
"If you're asking me if we're going to have about four or five designed quarterback runs in a game, probably not," Whisenhunt said.
ArizonaSports.com's Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- The Pulse: Cardinals fans most excited to see division rivals
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.