Updated Aug 17, 2011 - 2:44 pm
Beanie Wells coming on strong in Cardinals camp
Wells, who has battled inconsistency and injuries in his two seasons, looks likes he's running with "quickness and authority" according to ESPN's John Clayton.
Clayton, in a recent visit to Cardinals camp, said Wells looked impressive and showed up to camp at 228 pounds with little body fat.
"There are times he needs to lower his pads and be more technically sound when he hits holes in short-yardage and goal line situations," Clayton said. "But his confidence has him making better decisions at the line of scrimmage and breaking more long runs."
Wells needs to be impressive if he wants to keep the starting job, with second-round pick Ryan Williams waiting for his chance to claim the starting spot.
According to Clayton, Williams seems to wow his teammates with a couple big runs at each practice.
Clayton believes the Cardinals could have a potent mixture in the backfield with Wells and Williams, similar to the backfield of the Carolina Panthers who have a mix of power and speed with Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams.
Whoever the starting running-back turns out to be, both need to have good seasons to compliment new quarter-back Kevin Kolb and his big arm.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.