Updated Aug 20, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams out for season
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams will miss the entire season with a ruptured right patella tendon, Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed in a Saturday press conference.
Williams was injured in the Cardinals' 28-20 loss to the reigning Superbowl champion Green Bay Packers. He was hit from behind and looked to fall awkwardly on his right knee. Williams was carted off the field and looked to be in a great deal of pain.
A ruptured patella tendon requires surgery to fix and extensive rehabilitation. Williams is estimated to be ready for the beginning of the Cardinals' 2012 training camp.
Williams absence leaves a hole in the Cardinals run game, as he was expected to work with Beanie Wells this year as a tandem. Former Cardinals running back Tim Hightower was traded to the Washington Redskins to clear a place for Williams.
Whisenhunt did not say who the Cardinals had in mind to replace Williams, but he did say the selection of a replacement would be a process.
If the Cardinals went for a veteran back, he would have to be content with a lesser roll, Whisenhunt said.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.