Updated Aug 20, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams out for season
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams will miss the entire season with a ruptured right patella tendon, Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed in a Saturday press conference.
Williams was injured in the Cardinals' 28-20 loss to the reigning Superbowl champion Green Bay Packers. He was hit from behind and looked to fall awkwardly on his right knee. Williams was carted off the field and looked to be in a great deal of pain.
A ruptured patella tendon requires surgery to fix and extensive rehabilitation. Williams is estimated to be ready for the beginning of the Cardinals' 2012 training camp.
Williams absence leaves a hole in the Cardinals run game, as he was expected to work with Beanie Wells this year as a tandem. Former Cardinals running back Tim Hightower was traded to the Washington Redskins to clear a place for Williams.
Whisenhunt did not say who the Cardinals had in mind to replace Williams, but he did say the selection of a replacement would be a process.
If the Cardinals went for a veteran back, he would have to be content with a lesser roll, Whisenhunt said.
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.