Updated Aug 20, 2011 - 1:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams out for season
Arizona Cardinals running back Ryan Williams will miss the entire season with a ruptured right patella tendon, Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed in a Saturday press conference.
Williams was injured in the Cardinals' 28-20 loss to the reigning Superbowl champion Green Bay Packers. He was hit from behind and looked to fall awkwardly on his right knee. Williams was carted off the field and looked to be in a great deal of pain.
A ruptured patella tendon requires surgery to fix and extensive rehabilitation. Williams is estimated to be ready for the beginning of the Cardinals' 2012 training camp.
Williams absence leaves a hole in the Cardinals run game, as he was expected to work with Beanie Wells this year as a tandem. Former Cardinals running back Tim Hightower was traded to the Washington Redskins to clear a place for Williams.
Whisenhunt did not say who the Cardinals had in mind to replace Williams, but he did say the selection of a replacement would be a process.
If the Cardinals went for a veteran back, he would have to be content with a lesser roll, Whisenhunt said.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.