Updated Aug 21, 2011 - 11:39 am
Cardinals sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to record deal
The Arizona Cardinals said they were prepared to dish out a record contract to keep wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and they followed through with that.
Oh boy, did they follow through with that.
Filed to ESPN: Arizona will sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to a record 8-year, $120 million deal that includes close to $50 million guaranteed.
The deal was confirmed by Michael Bidwill and Fitzgerald during a Saturday evening press conference and will keep the 27-year-old receiver under contract with the team until 2018.
Welcome to the record book, Mr. Fitzgerald. His new deal makes him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.
The deal was signed far before the Sept. 4 deadline set by Fitzgerald for a contract renewal and will come as relief to both the Cardinals fans and organization who face the possibility of losing Fitz in free agency after this season.
Fitz is currently one touchdown away from tying the franchise record of 66 set by Roy Green.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.