Updated Aug 21, 2011 - 11:39 am
Cardinals sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to record deal
The Arizona Cardinals said they were prepared to dish out a record contract to keep wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and they followed through with that.
Oh boy, did they follow through with that.
Filed to ESPN: Arizona will sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to a record 8-year, $120 million deal that includes close to $50 million guaranteed.
The deal was confirmed by Michael Bidwill and Fitzgerald during a Saturday evening press conference and will keep the 27-year-old receiver under contract with the team until 2018.
Welcome to the record book, Mr. Fitzgerald. His new deal makes him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.
The deal was signed far before the Sept. 4 deadline set by Fitzgerald for a contract renewal and will come as relief to both the Cardinals fans and organization who face the possibility of losing Fitz in free agency after this season.
Fitz is currently one touchdown away from tying the franchise record of 66 set by Roy Green.
- Tommy Kelly happy to be wanted, with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves