Updated Aug 21, 2011 - 11:39 am
Cardinals sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to record deal
The Arizona Cardinals said they were prepared to dish out a record contract to keep wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and they followed through with that.
Oh boy, did they follow through with that.
Filed to ESPN: Arizona will sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to a record 8-year, $120 million deal that includes close to $50 million guaranteed.
The deal was confirmed by Michael Bidwill and Fitzgerald during a Saturday evening press conference and will keep the 27-year-old receiver under contract with the team until 2018.
Welcome to the record book, Mr. Fitzgerald. His new deal makes him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.
The deal was signed far before the Sept. 4 deadline set by Fitzgerald for a contract renewal and will come as relief to both the Cardinals fans and organization who face the possibility of losing Fitz in free agency after this season.
Fitz is currently one touchdown away from tying the franchise record of 66 set by Roy Green.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b