Updated Aug 22, 2011 - 9:53 am
Ryan Williams is a real loss for the Cardinals
When Ryan Williams went down with an injury Friday night in Green Bay, the excitement over what he could give the team this year went with him.
Williams suffered a ruptured patellar tendon, an injury that ended his season before it really began.
"All of us that have been around training camp have gotten to see what the special part of Ryan Williams," Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt told Sports 620 KTAR's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Obviously he's very talented.
"Every time he's touched the ball in training camp it looks like he's going to make something explosive happen."
But that's not the only reason Williams' coaches and teammates were fond of the player.
Whisenhunt said the rookie was always asking questions and working hard, something that is nice to see from such a talented player.
"That's what building a team is all about, and getting guys like him on your team."
Only time will tell how Williams recovers, and he has a long and difficult rehab process ahead of him.
However, his work ethic and desire to succeed should help him through it, and when he returns the Cardinals may very well finally get a chance to see the former Virginia Tech star in games that count.
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!